Changing the world: ASS Protest live blog

Power to the people

| UPDATED noad

Correction: in the original 12:55 update of this live blog, we mentioned an email from someone named ‘George’ which referenced where Oliver Carter-Esdale went to school. Without further clarification we accept that readers may have assumed that the email could have been from George Robb, when in fact it was from George Thomason. We are happy to clarify that George Robb did not send the email, and would like to apologise to George Robb.

The big day is finally here  welcome to the ASS protest. 

English third year and Epigram writer George Robb’s call for a protest against the Arts and Social Sciences faculty has over 1000 students clicking attending to march for more spending on arts degrees.

The demo starts at 11:30am at Senate House for a 12pm march to Wills Memorial while uni bosses meet in Court.

While Professor Judith Squires is in the meeting, the plan is to “take part in a range of protest activities (chants, songs, placard waving, speaking through megaphones)” and to hand over demands when the Chancellor leaves the Court around 1pm.

Read why you should be taking part here.

Stay tuned for live updates as they happen, and send in your pictures and stories to [email protected]. You can also tweet with the hashtag #ASSprotest.

13:09 It’s over now: usurped people’s champion George Robb has handed over his demands to Judith, who looked a little nervous.

The 150-strong crowd has dispersed.

12:55 We’ve been sent an email from George Thomason to say “Just to let you know, Oliver Carter-Esdale went to Shrewsbury School, a £30,000 a year public school”.

Other alumni of Shrewsbury include Michael Palin, Lord Hesseltine and Charles Darwin.

12:47 It’s become an open mic session to talk about free education and how police are evil.

12:42 George hands the megaphone and the reins of the protest to Oliver Carter-Esdale. He’s now at the corner of the protest. Is it all over for him?

12:39 George looks miffed as he gives the mic to Judith Squires who talks forgettably about spending reviews.

12:29 George Robb has all but given up as Oliver Carter-Esdale, like a charismatic modern day Christ figure, has the crowd’s attention.

Some are starting to drift away.

12:27 Free education protestors are drowning out the original demo.

12:25 George Robb is no longer chanting and is now texting.

12:23 Free education seem to be dominating the march, shouting “free education is a right”.

12:21 If protest street style were here, this guy would win.

12:18 Trouble amid the Epigram ranks as Oliver Carter-Esdale, their star columnist is overheard shouting “you’re a Tory prick” towards George Robb.

George is heard replying “free education is only theory”.

Meanwhile Matt Field, online comment editor said: “We were hoping for a bigger turn out.”

It looks like there are 100 protestors here.

12:15 “Kill and eat the rich” is easily the most classic chant of the day.

12:08 Protestors are chanting: “Eric Thomas, we know you, you’re a fucking Tory too”, drowning out George Robb’s megaphone which is working intermittently.

12:06 The march is now on the move after a rousing 10-second speech by handsome George Robb.

12:04 An anonymous Epigram writer said: “People aren’t here because they’re on a No Scrubs comedown.”

12:02 Becky Wilde isn’t afraid to drop some hard truths.

11:58 The Yeovil anarchists have arrived, joining the 50-odd protestors here.

11:49 Protestors are starting to turn up.

Organiser George Robb thinks the absent Yeovil anarchists who promised to descend on Senate House said: “They must be on their way. I think they’re carpooling.”

He has the look of a child trying to hide his disappointment at not getting what he actually wanted for Christmas.

11:45 Man of the moment, George Robb is standing by, having a pre-demo fag.

It doesn’t matter he’s breaking the new campus smoking ban: this is a day for radical behaviour.

11:38 Eight minutes in and there aren’t many people here.