The best places to cry on campus

Stop weeping in the ASS, people can see you

November’s here, the days are shorter, essays are due, and you’re beginning to realise how annoying your housemates are. It’s enough to make you want to cry.

We know there’s nothing better for cleansing the soul than having a little eye leak from time to time. So next time you’re feeling teary-eyed head to one of our favourite crying spots and bawl your eyes out.

You’ll feel better for it.

Clifton suspension bridge

A river of tears runs beneath

An obvious choice, but a classic all the same. Standing high over the River Avon, wind blowing in your face, you can wistfully look into the distance like you’re in a movie and cry your little heart out.

Plus, Clifton is the best place to drown your sorrows in tasty, post-sob refreshments. A winner all round.

Tear factor: 4/5. Secluded and majestic.

Cabot tower

Climb to the top. Don’t forget the tissues

Another Bristol landmark, the view of the city from the top is emotional enough on the best of days. This location is recommended on a cloudy winter’s day, for maximum gloom effect, but also so you can be sure no one’s in the park below to hear you cry.

Tear factor: 3/5. Wipe your face dry before you leave.

The bottom of St. Michael’s Hill

Fuck this.

Not necessarily a great place to cry, but you won’t be able to stop yourself when you realise you have to walk up to the top. I mean, LOOK AT IT.

LOOK HOW FAR AWAY THE TOP IS.

Pass the tissues.

Tear factor: 3.5/5. Unwanted tears of exhaustion.

The double toilet in Bunker

Sometimes you need to cry with your bezzie

It may be all smiles in this photo, but this cubicle has seen more tears than the Jeremy Kyle show.

With seats for two, it’s the number one clubbing destination to take your best gal pal when that guy she was sort-of seeing gets with some other girl.

Or just when you’re eight Jaegerbombs down and simply too drunk to carry on. So many tears.

Tear factor: 5/5. This is the ultimate safe space.

Jason Donervan

The food masks the tragedy

As brilliant as a cheeky Donervans is, ending up here means one of three things.

1. You’ve had a night out on the Triangle and you’re going home single and alone
  2. You tried to have a night out on the Triangle but couldn’t get in anywhere
  3. You’re having to try and sober a friend up by shoving cheesy chips in their face

Whatever the reason, Donervan is your way to heal the hurt. It’s okay to let a few tears out over your chicken burger too.

Tear factor: 2/5. Really public but nobody will remember.

The Stoke Bishop transport hub

Why do we keep building things at the bottom of hills?

Screw everyone in Hiatt Baker and UH. They didn’t experience the pain of walking up this hill from this very spot, perhaps multiple times. Every. Single. Day.

Add a crate of beer you’ve got to carry to halls for that night’s pre, and it’s surprising we didn’t all collapse into tears at the bottom. Or even at the top due to that thigh burn.

If you do need a little cry, you definitely won’t look out of place here.

Tear factor: 1.5/5. Suck it up, you’re nearly home.