Masked men smash up Clifton jewellers in broad daylight raid

And a sociology student got it all on camera

This amazing video footage captures a brazen “smash and grab” raid on a jewellers in broad daylight – as office workers stroll past.

Four masked men armed with baseball bats pulled up outside the shop and smashed the windows before grabbing handfuls of Rolex watches.

Two suited office workers are filmed walking past the scene as if nothing is wrong as the gang jump back into their car and speed off.

The incident was over in less than a minute and the men escaped with thousands of pounds of goods.

Police were immediately called to the robbery at Clifton Village Jewellers, in Bristol, just after 12.30pm on Wednesday, and a helicopter was also scrambled.

Megan Swan, a sociology and politics student, filmed the frightening event on her phone as she sat on her bed reading a book.

The 21-year-old said: “It was a bit of shock really.

“I was just sat on my bed, with my window next to me, reading my book when I heard three or four loud bangs.

“I thought it was a bit annoying really, but when I heard someone shout ‘run’ I looked to see what was happening.

“I had to do a double take and I thought ‘is this really happening?’.

“I couldn’t believe my eyes really, it’s not something that happens in a nice neighbourhood.

“It all happened so, so quickly, I wish I had got my phone out quicker to get more of it but it took me so long to register what was happening.”

Quick-thinking Megan immediately ran outside to comfort the shocked shop owner, and waited for police to hand the footage in.

Officers were able to zoom in on the car and note down the number plate as well get a description of the four men.

Another witness Bernard Smith, who works opposite the jewellers, said he initially thought the noise was a lorry unloading.

He said: “I was working at my desk when I heard this thumping sound. I thought it was a lorry unloading or something dumping boxes down.”

“When I looked up I saw three men, maybe four, wearing hoodies or masks and carrying big American-style baseball bats.

“When I heard their car engine going I ran to the door to get the registration number, and then I rang the police.

“It was a large silver four by four. It was all over in about a minute, but it sounds like they did manage to get their hands on some Rolex watches.

“The banging was so loud even from over the road, it was scary. The noise of bats hitting the glass must have been terrifying for the girls inside the jewellers.”

This is not the first time the jewellers have been targeted after a failed armed raid took placed last June.

Two would-be crooks fled empty handed after the daring daytime attack where they were armed with an axe and a lump hammer.

They were quickly challenged by people in other businesses as well as the owner of the jewellers, who was threatened with the hammer.