Bristol researchers discover ‘beer goggles’ DO exist

Researchers have put an end to the long-standing scientific debate about whether people seem more attractive after a few drinks.

| UPDATED beer cthulu googles University

Hold onto your pint glasses people: uni boffs have shown that beer goggles DO exist.

Participants in a recent study were shown 20 male faces, 20 female faces, and 20 landscapes before being given either an alcoholic drink or a non-alcoholic placebo drink (the thought sent shivers down our spine too).

The results of the experiment showed that in every category those who had consumed the alcoholic drink gave higher attractiveness ratings for the faces than those who had drunk the placebo, confirming the ‘beer goggles’ legend.

IMG_1587 You’ll want beer goggles for this place.

The phenomenon has been the source of a long-standing debate in the scientific community, and these findings contradict research done by ‘experts’ at Durham University last year.

Their study argued that whereas alcohol limited the effects of many parts of the brain, primal urges such as ‘desire’ were unaffected and were therefore more prominent after a few drinks – dismissing the ‘beer goggle’ theory.

Researchers at Bristol, clearly having had enough of such amateur-hour antics, decided to take things into their own hands and set up their own experiment. Once the researchers had proven their hypothesis in the lab, it seemed only natural to take the experiment to the next level, down the pub.

The University’s Tobacco and Alcohol Research Group, taking a break from filling your junk mailbox, performed three repeats of the experiment in three pubs across Bristol.

Science!

In addition to this experiment, it has been reported that many Bristol students have been conducting their own experiments across the year on a near-weekly basis, focusing around key venues such as Lizard Lounge, Bunker and Syndicate.

So remember, next time you wake up in the morning and find yourself next to a ‘double bagger’, or even something resembling an extra from Jurassic Park, you can tell your mates that it was all for science!

Conclusive results from the university experiment, putting an end once and for all to the debate, should be out in the near future.