Clifton vs. Gloucester Road

It’s a battle as old as time itself (or something), which is the better area: leafy, snobby Clifton or grimey, underfed Gloucester Road.

There is a deep divide between students in Bristol. However, it’s not the infamous rivalry between UWE and UOB students, but the divide between those who live in Clifton and those who reside in Gloucester Road. Some students may not be aware of it, but if you are a resident of either you will have witnessed this hidden division. It’s not as much of a public dispute as one hidden behind back handed comments, and the unsure nodding of heads.

This twat could come from anywhere in Bristol.

I am a proud resident of Gloucester Road and obviously I meet students living in Clifton on a weekly basis. When I tell them where I live they say stuff like ‘Oh, Gloucester Road’s quite nice isn’t it? Very affordable, not very many clubs though are there?

Good old Gloucester Road.

This roughly translates to: ‘You poor bastard, are you from a broken home or something?’ You can see the sympathy in their eyes. It’s as if you’ve just told them you live in a wet cardboard box. 

Glorious Clifton – not a like living in a cardboard box.

When it come to their own ends, the Clifton lot are apt to tell us Gloucester Roaders that ‘Clifton’s lovely, very pretty place, with a really, like, mediterranean cafe culture, you know?’ Your typical Gloucester resident is at this point nodding their head and smiling, but inside they’re thinking “Why the fuck would I want to be trapped in a cafe culture? How much street art do you see on YOUR walk to university posho?”

Another night out in Clifton.

You cannot deny that at least once or twice as a resident of either hot spot you have discussed the other place in a bad light. This is a practice done to convince yourself that you picked a better place to live than your fellow students. Comments like ‘Clifton is just way more expensive, how anyone affords to live there I do not know,’ which I have made on more than one occasion, add to the division, while my friends from Clifton maintain that it’s more of a student place. 

Clifton even comes with its own bridge.

Every other week I find myself shedding out a ridiculous price for a taxi to get to the triangle and Park street, while Clifton-ers do the same to get down to the popular bars and pubs that line Gloucester Road.

Both places have their good and bad points that will constantly be played against one another. One thing that both groups agree on: at least we don’t live in Fishponds.