University police in hot water over ‘mental health problems’ tweet

Police twitter account sparks outrage with ‘offensive’ gag targets people with mental illness

A chief constable was forced to apologise yesterday after an officer posted a Twitter message poking fun at people with mental health issues.

A fuming Nick Gargan said sorry after the offensive gag was uploaded during a mental health event.

The tweet on Bank Holiday Monday quickly drew criticism from other Twitter users

The Tweet, sent from the official @BristolUniCops account, included a photograph of an officer, thought to be Pc Nick Boyce, with ice cream over his stab vest uniform.

The picture had the comment “Warning do not get close to people with mental health problems when they are eating ice cream.”

The message, posted on Monday afternoon, immediately sparked fury and Avon and Somerset Chief Constable Nick Gargan quickly intervened.

He tweeted: “It was very unwise indeed and will be deleted and apologised for as soon as the account holder responds to my DM.”

The tweet attracted criticism for being insensitive to those with mental illnesses

In response to one critic he added: “@MentalHealthCop  @BristolUniCops Removal, contrition & education are precisely right. Just had a call from the Control room: we’re on it.”

The @BristolUniCops account is run by Pc Nick Boyce & PCSO Dudley Rowe who are the police liaison officers with Bristol University.

A tweet on the page later said: “Sorry everyone for that regrettable tweet earlier.  I take @MentalHealthCop advice. We’ve now had removal. Contrition & education next.”

Pc Boyce is a serving officer with over 25 years’ experience and a former merchant navy sailor.

Within minutes of posting the tweet it attracted a large amount of backlash from horrified readers.

The Twitter account offered a swift apology for causing offence with their previous tweet

@BigFashionista said: “Wow, this is ill-judged at the very least! @BristolUniCops. I can’t get over it. I’m quite angry in fact.”

@Nathski22 added: “That’s absolutely abhorrent. I’d do more than smash an ice cream into the tw*t’s chest. @BristolUniCops.”

@lipstickdreamer responded: “I’m actually appalled. the more I read it, the more I can’t believe how ignorant they can be!”

Phil Verney added: “Yeah, and of course Churchill, Stephen Fry are known for throwing ice cream at people.”

Others called on Mr. Gargan to punish the officer responsible.

Pc Nick Boyle, the officer pictured in the tweet, is one of two university liaison police officers behind the account

@laurenbigeejit said: “Wow @ngargan_police you really need to have a word with @BristolUniCops about their attitudes towards mental health. Very ill judged tweet.”

Scott Smith also took to twitter, saying: “This is massively unprofessional and really quite offensive, @BristolUniCops. Perhaps take it down?”

The tweet was yesterday removed from Twitter.

A message on the @BristolUniCops page said: “Apologies this was not mean to offend sorry if it did it wasn’t meant too [sic].”

Yesterday a second added: “Dear all, I now realise that my tweet of yesterday was totally inappropriate. I apologies again if it caused any offence.”