Embattled Union wins sustainability award

It’s been a tough week, and a tough year for UBU. There was some rare good news for them this week when they won an award for recycling and stuff.

The University of Bristol Students’ Union (UBU) has been awarded a Gold Standard Green Impact Award (try saying that one drunk) by the National Union of Students for their efforts to promote environmental issues (a better job than they did promoting their ball then).

UBU: more keen on The Shire than Mordor.

The environmentally conscious Union have had real impact across the University, working hard to ensure that current building works are as green as possible. This has included a green roof which encourages wildlife, and the improvement of the University’s heating systems.

UBU Get Green has helped to reduce the University’s carbon footprint with a student switch off’ campaign to encourage students in halls of residence to reduce energy usage and to recycle. The Union has also put in place signage to encourage others to reduce printing, switch off lights, and to use stairs instead of lifts.

I do hope your behaviours are as sustainable as UBU’s.

Ellie Williams, UBU’s Vice President Community said: “Bristol has a strong reputation for sustainability as a city and we’re really pleased to be contributing to this by being a leading students’ union on sustainability and environmentalism.”