BLUNDERLAND – UBU Summer Ball Cancelled

The phrase “piss-up in a brewery” came to mind today as our beloved Union scored another catastrophic own goal.

Wonderland, the official Bristol Summer Ball for 2014 has been cancelled. After a day when twitter fizzed with rumours, the Union finally announced that the event was toast this afternoon.

A union insider breaks the news.

In an apologetic statement UBU confirmed that the ball had been cancelled due to low ticket sales. They also promised to refund the students who have bought tickets which shouldn’t be much of a problem presumably.

The event had promised “three areas of live music across big-top marquees” along with a “smoking caterpillar shisha tent” all capped by “free fairground rides and a fireworks show.”

However this spectacular buffet of outdoor entertainment simply wasn’t enough to tempt Bristol’s famously apathetic student body into purchasing tickets.

How you might have reacted to the news if you had actually bought a ticket.

Student reactions to the cancellation have been mixed. Chris Knights, a second year ancient historian, seemed surprised when The Tab informed him that a summer ball was actually taking place, whilst the student tweeting below seemed pretty pissed.

Adding further salt to Union wounds will be the memory of last year’s summer event, which was marked by interminably long queues, crap entertainment and a variety of logistical ineptitudes. Many students left last year’s ball before midnight.

Last year’s event was marred by a series of frustrating queues.

Judging by their Facebook posts, both the Union and its President Rob ‘That’s Entertainment‘ Griffiths had seemed confident that the ball would be a success:

There definitely won’t be a second release now.

The Union’s badly-run hype machine didn’t make much of a difference in the end.