Bomb discovered by schoolchildren in Bristol

-A makeshift ‘bomb’ was discovered outside a school in Bristol on Wednesday afternoon

-The device appeared to consist of two pressurised containers and a detonator

-Bomb disposal experts called in to destroy the device

bomb school.

A homemade ‘bomb’ was found outside a school in Bristol on Wednesday afternoon. A picture of the suspicious device was sent to the police leading to bomb disposal experts being called in to destroy the package.

The device was made up from what appeared to be two pressurised containers with protruding wires and included an Iphone, presumably as a detonator. It was discovered tied to a bollard outside of Mangotsfield school in the North-East of the city.

The suspicious device. Photo: Victoria Merrett

Experts from the 11th Explosive Ordnance Disposal Regiment were called in to destroy the device with a mobile robot, after Police Inspector Rob Pearson said: “The item was being treated as a potentially explosive device.

The bomb disposal unit. Photo: Dylan Rhodes

“We do believe that this was left deliberately to cause alarm and distress at the very least, and an investigation is underway”.

A 200 yard cordon was set up around the detonation site, before a controlled explosion took place around 7pm, described as “like a firework going off”.