Too noisy, too drunk, too disrespectful: locals want students to stay out of Clifton

New student developments in Clifton are opposed by local residents

Clifton locals have launched a campaign to prevent more students from moving into the area, accusing those already living there of noise pollution and environmental damage.

Widely considered the most picturesque and affluent corner of Bristol, Clifton has become a popular destination for students who value Waitrose and artisan delis above snakebite and cheesy chips.

“Get off my land!” Residents tell students to stay out of Clifton

To meet demand, two development schemes are planning to increase the Clifton student population by over 300.

However, residents in the area aren’t happy, blaming the current student residents for an “increase in noise, drunkenness and disrespect for the environment”.

In response, a campaign group has been formed, with the intention of stopping the number of students in the area from growing further.

One student resident conceded to us that the residents may have a point.

“Students are loud, disrespectful and don’t care about anyone but themselves. Clifton is a seriously expensive place to live and the locals shouldn’t have to put up with students acting the way they do.”

Might have to Ocado home deliveries from now on…

Despite the news, at the time of writing there had been no noticeable reaction from students to the charges set against them and it should be noted that there is no history of open hostility between students and the local Clifton population.

Even the Clifton Down Community Association, an important opposition group to the plans point out that, every year, “special student events” are held to welcome students into the community.

Students also sit on the ‘resident association committee’ for the area.

A 2013 report attached to the planning application of the two new developments points out that Bristol suffers from a “massive shortfall” in the availability of high quality student accommodation.

Currently, only 11,000 of Bristol’s student population of 38,000 are housed in halls of residence or purpose-built student digs.

Undoubtedly, there is a need for more student accommodation. Whether it can find room in Clifton will depend on whether the local residents get to have the final say.