Dear Jack: my flatmate stinks – do I tell him?

Tab Bristol Agony Uncle deals with his most bizarre problem yet

The problem

Hi Jack,

Bit of a weird one this (haha) – basically I think my flatmate has got a serious BO issue. I’m not sure whether it’s medical or if he just can’t be bothered to buy deodorant/aftershave, but I just can’t bear it anymore.

A lecture theatre after this guy’s flatmate walks in

He wasn’t like this during first year, but it seems to have come on in the last few months. It’s getting so bad my girlfriend is refusing to come round to mine. He’s always about and he just stinks the place out. It’s impossible to concentrate on anything without feeling sick.

He’s a smashing guy and is going through a bit of a difficult time at the moment, so I’m reluctant to hurt his feelings. I feel I should tell him because it’s affecting other people’s perception of him.

Should I say something? And if so, how do I do it in a gentle way? Don’t want to ruin our friendship over BO.

Thanks

Jack’s advice

Smelly…this guy just can’t take it anymore

Think your girlfriend’s being a bit OTT and nasty by refusing to come to your flat, but yeah, you definitely need to tell him to avoid continual embarrassment.

You’ve got to make sure the way you do it is gentle. Don’t be like ‘oi go and have a shower you fucking mess’ or start calling him ‘Stig of the Dump’.

I’d say take him aside and quietly tell him it’s something you’ve noticed. He needs to know because sadly something like this could really hold him back in life. 

Regards,

Jack