Reflections of a first year student

Will Disney’s first year at Bristol has not lived up to expectations

This time last year, words could not describe my excitement for my first year at University. The thought of constant parties, lack of work and new experiences with complete strangers is probably what got me through my A-Levels.

When I think about it however, first year has not lived up to the expectations I hoped for and here’s why:

Cost

Prior to university, I was so good at keeping costs to a minimum and having a healthy bank statement. Now I dare not even look at my online bank. The first year pressure to be sociable and regularly go out in some form or another has depleted my ability to buy items I really want. While no one has forced this upon me, the social pressure in first year to not be boring and stay on good terms with everyone leads you to spending unnecessary amounts of money.

What’s left after a typical first year week

Social

As stated, the pressure to be sociable in first year is ridiculous. Whatever happened to the quiet nights in watching a movie or playing board games? I now find myself spending £5 just for the entry fee to a shitty club that inevitably leads to spending a further £15 on drink/drugs to have a good time. And this is expected at least three times a week in first year? Outrageous.

Seeing these people three times a week can get overwhelming

Company

First year halls leads you to living with people you do not necessarily get on with. While I have been fortunate in the legendary Hiatt Baker, I have met many first years complaining about flat or floor mates they have had no choice in living with. This is especially so in smaller, self-catered flats. It is not until second year you really get to choose people YOU want to live with, leaving your first year to be spent in close proximity with people that make your blood boil.

You might be forced to live with nobs like these in your first year

Workload

I know second and third years will call me an insolent little shit for even daring to complain about this in comparison. However the truth is I am wasting my time here if I am not even attempting to do the work set. Moreover I am one of the first years to go 9 grand in debt for it. Employers and graduate schemes are increasingly looking at performance in your first year as a means to pick you out in an increasingly competitive environment.

I now find myself not enjoying first year as much as I thought I would and this is coming from a fucking Arts student! My sympathies lie with the poor souls in: Medicine, Engineering and Law who only have it worse to come.

The result from preparing for a single seminar

Have I enjoyed my first year so far? Undoubtedly so. Has it been worth it in the the long run? Probably not. Perhaps I am one of the few losers looking forward to the tireless working hours and cold student housing that accompanies second year.