Why Medics need to get over themselves

Our columnist, who wishes to remain anonymous because of the controversial nature of what follows, believes Medics are snobby, arrogant and boring

A typical university has a wide range of degrees for the eager 18 year-old to apply for, yet only one manages to convert every applicant into a snobby, infuriating bore. Here’s why medics can piss off…

Whining

Boo hoo…Medics whine about the amount of work they have to do

All medics ever seem to do is complain about how difficult their degree is and the vast amount of work they receive.

SO WHAT!?

Most degrees at university level are challenging if you are striving to receive a good grade – yet medics stand out in the complaining department.

Engineers, vets, dentists, and lawyers have just as difficult degrees but are not found complaining nearly as much as medics do.

Moreover, you are all near-enough guaranteed jobs at the end of your degree. According to recent figures, approximately 99% of medicine students go into work or further study after finishing their degree, compared to nearly 85% of computer science students.

Sociability

You don’t often see Medics in this place *sarcasm*

Sharing a house with medics is a pain in the arse.

You never see them, they never go out, and when they do…they cannot control themselves.

As the occasion is so rare, they take to a night out as if they were a 14 year old getting to drink and smoke for the first time.

Medics, almost without fail, get totally plastered, aggravating other club-goers as they swamp the club in a large group, dishing out their supposedly hilarious MEDIC BANTARRRR.

Superiority

Having recently attended the “Lawyers v Vedics” bar crawl (despite being an arts student #reckless), I found myself on the receiving end of the medic chant: ‘We’re better than you and you know it’.

While I acknowledge this was a light hearted, drunken chant,  it does bring attention to the general attitude of medics that somehow their degree makes them better than others.

“Oooo you had an interview”, “oooo you were accepted onto an oversubscribed course”…give me a break.

Just like the rest of us, you’re here because you stretched the truth on your personal statement, exaggerating your interest in how the NHS is organised and how response times have been too low during the past decade. Nothing about the fact you made it into university makes you special.

Conversations

The boredom when a Medic student starts speaking

Unfortunately, medics have more ways to make conversations boring than the standard complaints about their workload or enthusiasm for how great medic nights out are.

Ask them about their work and you’ll be confronted with a whole heap of Latin phrases for the human body that may as well have been made up on the spot in an attempt to impress you.

Their greatest crime, though, is that they think it’s okay to describe in graphic and vivid detail the areas of the human anatomy best left to the imagination.

Seriously, I don’t care about your ‘mad times’ in the laboratory playing with amputated penises, putting them on each others’ heads and literally creating, wait for it, a dickhead!  As if you weren’t one already…