University of Bristol in decline

Latest university rankings see Bristol fall from the top 100 globally.

The University of Bristol has lost its place in the top 100 universities in the world, according to the Times Higher Education World University Rankings.

Phil Baty, Rankings Editor, said, “the UK has lost three big-name universities from the list of the world’s 100 most prestigious institutions since the ranking were first published in 2011 […] in 2012, the University of Sheffield exited the rankings, in 2013 the University of Leeds followed suit, and this year the University of Bristol misses out”.

After being told the shocking news, one sociology student told The Tab they are nervous about visiting friends at other higher-ranking universities due to shame.

The Tab has submitted questions for answer by the university. The key questions The Tab will present to Vice Chancellor, Professor Eric Thomas:

• If Bristol’s reputation continues to fall, will Bristol students be able to find work after university?
  • To what extent should Bristol graduates be concerned they will join the 2.34 million people currently unemployed in the UK?

This latest report is likely to leave many Bristol students not knowing what to believe when it comes to rankings, as the evidence cited by the Times is completely at odds with the QS World University Rankings. They recently increased Bristol’s position from 32nd in the world, to 30th place.

The Guardian, by contrast, places Bristol at 18th in the UK. Given the disparity between rankings is enormous, students may well wonder if it’s worth putting any stock in these latest rankings at all.

One thing is for certain: Bristol students must not accept failure. We can bounce back from this. Believe in yourself.

Worst case scenario: UWE replaces Bristol as one of the leading academic institutions in the Southwest…