Fight Night: UWE too scared to fight

UWE boxers pull out early, seriously disappointing their boxing dates.

Last Friday’s much hyped Fight Night was put under serious jeopardy after it emerged that UWE gave Bristol the call on THURSDAY NIGHT to announce they wouldn’t be able to make it.

Pictured: UWE’s Boxing Team

Officially, UWE cited a lack of adequate preparation of their fighters for the match, even though it was booked months in advance.  A source close to The Tab revealed the true nature of the abandonment, labeling UWE as “too scared to fight”.

UoB’s Amateur Boxing Club was left with the enormous task of still putting on a show, refusing to disappoint the hundreds of people who had already bought tickets.

Replacements from Swansea and Portsmouth Universities, as well as boxers from two local amateur clubs were quickly drafted in as heroic replacements for the UWE contingent.

Fighters in the ring: UWE take note

10 bouts went ahead, including a surreal Irish-traveller schoolboy fight between brothers John and… Johnboy.

Against a hand picked opposition, all the Bristol fighters performed magnificently. The captain Liam O’shea and in particular Ryan O’Leary, who had his nose busted within the opening minute, were both among those who secured exhilarating victories.

In the Red: Bristol battles for the win

After having the ultimate setback placed against this event, Bristol demonstrated the passion and talent of sport within our University, both in and out of the ring.

If the night proved one thing, it’s that UWE were right to be absolutely terrified.