Ignit10n Bristol: 10 Hours to Change Lives

On the 7th and 8th of March over 500 students from the University of Bristol will be taking part in 10-hour sports challenges to raise funds for the Bristol based charity Above and Beyond.

Bristol’s sports teams comprise some of the most competitive individuals at the university, but on the 7th and 8th of March they are all uniting and channelling that steely resolve into raising money for a fantastic cause.

Ignit10n is the brainchild of two Ladies Lacrosse Club members; Club Captain – Sophia Sullivan (a third year student studying Philosophy and Sociology) and Social Secretary – Milly Belcher (a second year student studying Engineering). The girls saw a gap in the University calendar for a major sports charity event and put their heads together to fill it!

Innovative and the product of an enormous amount of hard work; Ignit10n is an outstanding indictment of Bristol students

Both girls felt that it was really important to give something back to the Bristol community, our home away from home, for the duration of our degrees. The city is known for its vibrancy, energy and community atmosphere and supporting a local charity, which directly benefits residents, felt like the most deserving cause.

Sophia has commented; ‘I saw the University’s sports clubs as strong bodies of like-minded individuals who, together, had the capacity to make a real difference to the local community.’

Above and Beyond is charity that aim to go ‘above and beyond’ what the health service budget allows – raising crucial funds through their Golden Gift Appeal to dramatically improve Bristol’s NHS hospital facilities. More information on the charity can be found here http://www.aboveandbeyond.org.uk/golden-gift-appeal

A brilliant cause, worthy of the Herculean efforts that the sports teams will have to put in to complete their various challenges

A truly remarkable feat to orchestrate, the ignit10n team have been hard at work for many weeks trying to put everything into place. From securing the venues for events, to completing risk assessments for the challenges and even down to begging local businesses for motivational prizes for the athletes. It’s been a huge operation but is one we’re all so excited about! With the kind support of the University of Bristol Alumni Foundation, we hope to see ignit10n Bristol flourish and develop year upon year.

Here is just a selection of the confirmed challenges:

Mixed, Mens and Ladies Lacrosse will be spinning to Paris and back (900km)

After storming there way into the BUCS semi-finals, the ladies lacrosse 1’s now turn their attention to the small matter of spinning to France and back!

Athletics and Cross Country are running the length of England (400miles)

Cycling are conducting a 130 mile cycle starting in Bristol and stopping at Oxford, Reading and Bath before returning to Bristol

Football + Futsal will be completing a 10 hour ‘dribbleathon’ around Bristol city.

The football and Futsal teams face a difficult challenge dribbling around Bristol … for ten hours!

Mens and Ladies Hockey will be conducting a 10 hour indoor hockey game

Netball will be shooting from the deepest point of the ocean to the highest point of Everest

Triathlon will be Swimming the length of the English Channel in the Union Swimming pool (on Saturday 8th March)

Come see the triathletes swim the channel… right here in Bristol!

In order to divert the cash of the drunken hordes in the direction of this fantastic local charity, even Bunker are doing their bit, as they host the Ignit10n launch party this Wednesday night, with games prizes and raffles. The theme is a touch of gold and if raising money for charity isn’t enough incentive to come down and celebrate the event there is also a chocolate fountain.

Whether it be coming to the launch night, supporting the athletes or making a donation, we implore you to do your bit and help make Ignit10n a huge success!

http://www.aboveandbeyond.org.uk/golden-gift-appeal

https://www.facebook.com/ignit10nBristol

tweet – @Ignit10nBristol