Women’s Lacrosse prepare for huge quarter final this Wednesday

As Bristol 1’s prepare for the Quarter Final of the BUCS Premier Championship – this week’s #FocusMatch – vice captain Poppy Ralph tells the Tab what to expect

Bristol have had a mixed season. The beginning of the year saw agonizing losses to both Exeter (8-4) and Cambridge (7-5), and an equally frustrating draw against Oxford University in November.

However, the end of the last calendar year saw a talented squad start fulfilling their potential, and they finished the year with fantastic victories over both Exeter and Cambridge away from home. The latter was a particularly prized scalp, as Bristol had not beaten Cambridge, the reigning BUCS champions,  for a very long time!

The result was Bristol finishing the season  2nd in the Premier South Division, an outstanding achievement the girls can take a lot of pride in.

xxx

After finishing 2nd in the league, can they continue their good form and power on to the semi-finals against a resurgent Nottingham in the Cup?

Their opponents, Nottingham, had a slow start to their 2013-14 season, suffering heavy losses against Durham and Loughbrough. However, the second half of the season saw improvement, winning games against Newcastle, Loughbrough and most recently Cardiff in the first round of the championships, and are starting to show why they are considered such a dangerous team.

The Bristol Team

This year’s first team are a group of incredibly skilled and game-smart student athletes. At the start of the season, they were able to welcome an outstanding group of first years, who have brought a new dimension to their game and have been instrumental in the team’s success thus far.

First year economics student and high performance athlete Lucy Lukic is the team’s leading goal scorer this season. She leaves defenders for dead with her wonderful movement around goal and her on point shot placement. Lottie Hoskin and Elen Wyatt are both part of the team’s seemingly impenetrable defense and are critical to an outstanding turnover rate and seamless transition through  midfield. Elen’s left hand shots always keeps the opposition’s defense on their toes. The captains are tiredless midfielders Imogen Rowe and Miranda Nicholes, who strike a balance between exuding calm within their own ranks whilst striking fear in their opponents.

xcxxx

The team comprises some outstanding individuals, but can the ladies produce the team performance needed to brush aside Nottingham on Wednesday?

The Game:

Wednesday will see a hard fought match between two strong and passionate groups of players. Both teams have trained tirelessly throughout the 2013-14 season and will be pushing incredibly hard for a win to see them into the semi-finals, in which they will face either Durham 1st or Oxford 1st.

The Bristol girls would be incredibly grateful for any support so please do come down to Coombe Dingle for a 1pm draw. If you can’t make it then be sure to follow us on twitter (@bristollacrosse) and like us on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bristolladieslacrosse) for live updates throughout this huge fixture.