How to look good in the rain

Lucia Powell suggests ways to prevent getting so, so wet.

Just because it’s miserable outside doesn’t mean your fashion credentials have to suffer! Bristol’s style-savvy students have got it covered when it comes to braving the elements, modelling those items of clothing that are essential for survival in the West Country’s endless drizzle and treacherous winds.

Guns don’t kill people, umbrellas do – you should have all learnt by now that the umbrella is a futile and often dangerous barrier against the rain if you live in Bristol. Within five seconds of you defiantly leaving the house with said accessory held high, a gust of wind will have turned it completely inside out, either stabbing you or an unlucky passer-by in the eye. Invest in a good waterproof jacket instead.

Bristol’s coolest guy. Jeremy’s umbrella may have failed him, but a classic waxed Barbour jacket comes to his rescue.

Heads up – of course, the lack of an umbrella poses a whole new set of safety hazards: an exposed head could put your health at risk in current chilly temperatures, and unfortunately being windswept in Bristol means you’re more likely to be strangled by your own hair than achieve a sexy, tousled look. This is where hats come in…

Bobble hats are a particular favourite among students on campus right now:

Bea stays cosy and cute in her blue and white printed version.

Or if bobble hats aren’t your cup of tea, why not experiment with more urban styles?

Lin makes a statement in her kitsch Hello Kitty cap.

Stay hood – admittedly, not everyone is a hat person, and those with frizz-prone hair will appreciate that most hats simply do not offer enough coverage. Enter the furry hood, whose snug cocoon will  safely protect your curly locks.

Jenny and Chloe aren’t fazed by the rain in their practical yet stylish fur-lined hoods.

Country chic – last but not least, don’t forget to keep your toes dry! The extreme weather of late has made it acceptable to wear Wellington boots, usually the preserve of country bumpkins/grimy festival-goers, on the city streets.

Katie makes a splash in her colourful patterned wellies, while Alice’s grey pair complement the neutral khaki shade of her parka.

Lucy is indestructible against the elements, rocking a bobble hat, waxed jacket and wellies; Sophie fights off the dreariness with her vibrant printed umbrella (fingers crossed it lasts!).

Now your wardrobe’s sorted, nothing can hold you back…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1ZYhVpdXbQ