I’ve slept with loads of guys – and I don’t care what people think

Our controversial new columnist is proud of her ‘number’

What’s your ‘number’? No, I’m not talking about mobile phones – I’m talking about your sexual partners. This may be controversial, but I don’t really care. I’m proud of the number of guys I’ve slept with – eighteen as it stands – and, as you can see, I’m not afraid to tell people about it.

My friend recently announced that she’s officially changing her ‘number’ from nine, which she deems too high, to a more respectable four. Although my personal view is that it’s slightly embarrassing to have only slept with a few guys (don’t worry, my friend understands my view on the matter), I said that if she wanted to change her number, then I’d go along with the story. If asked (which I don’t think I will be) I would certainly tell any interested party that her number was four.

This got me thinking: why are people keen to play down their number of sexual partners? What exactly is embarrassing about it?

The fact is that sex is good. It’s natural. There’s nothing wrong with it. Guys are treated like ‘lads’ for bedding loads of girls: why should I be called a ‘slut’ because I enjoy being with lots of different men? Being sexually confident is a fantastic quality to have and I believe it’s going to get me very far.

There’s nothing worse than a girl who doesn’t want sex and doesn’t take care of their appearance. In fact, I make sure I only hang round with people who are sexually confident and good-looking, since generally-speaking they’re more interesting, outgoing people.

There’s a myth that guys don’t like more experienced girls like myself. I was talking to one of the boys I’ve been seeing since October and asked him what ‘number’ would put him off a girl. His reaction was that he wouldn’t care because he wouldn’t ask. I think, on the whole, this is the case for most people, as all of my friends in relationships have said exactly the same. They’re not interested in previous sexual experiences – and, to be honest, given that I’m a pretty good-looking girl, they’re hardly going to care, are they?

Judgemental girls and boys can be irritating, but the reality is that I don’t care. In halls I certainly experienced my fair share of bitterness whilst I had regular sex during the first term of first year. But as I and my friends concluded, they’re just bitter because they’re not getting any action themselves.

So, as you can see, I don’t have much time for the people that care about my number. I’m proud of it. And in the vast majority of cases, it seems that nobody else is bothered, apart from bitter, jealous losers.

Follow Tab columnists on Twitter: https://twitter.com/IzzyHAnderson

Agree with Izzy? Or think she’s out of order? The Tab Bristol welcomes response pieces. Email [email protected] to get involved.