Bristol beaten in first #FocusMatch

Each week in our #FocusMatch feature we’ll be reporting on a match from a different sport society. This week, it’s Men’s Lacrosse.

Preview for University of Bristol Lacrosse Film 2014:

With 50 BUCS points, the men’s lacrosse 1st team is currently the most successful team in the university. Only needing to win our final two league games, we had the best chance yet to top the Southern Premiership for the first time in the club’s history. Unfortunately between ourselves and the league title, stood an equally determined and talented Exeter outfit.

It took just less than two minutes for Dom Sandy to beat the Exeter keeper and put Bristol into an early lead. This didn’t do much to lower the spirits of the opposition, however, as they edged back to wrap up the first quarter with the teams drawing at two goals each. Thanks to an outstanding defensive performance and keeper Jamie Caldwell keeping the Exeter attack at bay, we won the second quarter and lead by two goals heading into the half time break.

The crowd that had turned out to support under the lights at fortress Dingle were providing an incredible atmosphere to play in. One which was certainly paying off as shortly after the restart, Bristol opened the gap to lead momentarily by four goals. With only 20 minutes to go, we had half a grasp on the trophy. A resurgent Exeter weren’t going to give up easily though.

As the final whistle approached, there was nothing to separate the teams as the lead swung back and forth. The atmosphere had raised to another level, the action switched swiftly from end to end as both teams threw everything forward in search of the illusive winning goal. Big hits were flying in, calves were cramping up and shots were clipping crossbars. Nevertheless after a flurry of attacks, the final whistle saw Exeter emerge victorious by a single goal. For the senior members of the Bristol squad, the heartache was hard to take as yet another title slipped narrowly through our grasp. We’re now looking to focus on the national cup where we could come up against the powerhouses of Durham and Leeds Met. Best of luck to Exeter and the next Bristol focus match.