Out with the old, in with the new

Follow The Tab’s advice and you’ll soon be the most stylish student in town

The beginning of a new year, the arrival of student loans and the end of exams – what better way to celebrate than by indulging in a spot of retail therapy? While the weather still remains firmly in the depths of winter, there’s no reason why your wardrobe should too. Tab Fashion shows you how to update your look with the help of the Spring/Summer 2014 collections.

SWAP novelty christmas jumpers for slogan sweats. It was all about the power of the written word on the catwalk this season, with everything from statement slogans to brand logos adorning sporty sweatshirts and tees.

DITCH neutrals and moodier shades for what continues to be fashion’s favourite colour, pink. The A/W 13 collections set the tone last year, featuring everything from pretty pastels to hot fuchsias, and the colour remains popular now spring is on its way.

Get the look: fluffy swing coat, £89 at Cabot Circus Topshop.

KEEP animal prints, but mix things up a bit by clashing patterns and injecting some colour with neon brights, as seen at Just Cavalli.

Leah’s Minkpink parka, as seen in autumn’s ‘Street Style: From Catwalk to Campus’ feature is still bang on trend this spring.

CHECK OUT gingham, which replaced tartan as the designers’ go-to print at the S/S 14 shows.

Gingham doesn’t have to be restricted to summery cottons; Nancy’s scarf shows us that it’s a great transitional print.

REVAMP your denim. Dig out those oversized vintage jackets and customise with embroidery, patchwork and embellishment. For those of you who don’t have that kind of time on your hands, there’s no shortage of re-worked denim in Bristol’s incredible selection of independent and vintage shops right now.

BS8 have got the customisation covered for you.