Bristol Has Willpower!

Bristol Has Willpower!: Charity concert raises over £700 for Will’s Fund

Comedian Rory McGrath was among the performers at a packed Clifton Hill House last Friday, as students, family and friends celebrated Will Pope’s recovery from his recent heart transplant.

Rory McGrath and Phil Pope entertain the crowds
Photo: Jessie Fuellenkemper

As well as helping to raise awareness of the need for organ donors, the event raised over £700 for Will’s Fund, established to provide support for Royal Brompton and Harefield Hospital where Will is being treated. The money will primarily go towards revamping Harefield Hospital’s family room.

Will was present as guest of honour for the night, something which seemed unlikely when this event first began to be planned. It was great to both see him there and have the opportunity to speak to him. Will’s story made national headlines after featuring on ITV and has inspired thousands to sign the organ donor register.

Photo: Jessie Fuellenkemper

Suffering with end-stage heart failure, Will, a second year Classical Studies and German student, was in urgent need of a heart transplant.

On New Year’s Eve, a donor heart became available. Now released from hospital, Will is making good progress in his recovery.

As for the entertainment, the audience was treated to a night of superb music, provided by the likes of Sidharth Sagar and The Boy Royals.

‘They Think It’s All Over’ panellist Rory McGrath, and Will’s dad, Philip Pope, reunited their old double act to perform a collection of comical tunes on guitar, including a song about life in Bristol and a particularly funny tune entitled ‘The C Word’.

The night concluded with an excellent performance by The Boy Royals and a DJ set by Duchess.

Overall, the evening was a resounding success, brilliantly organised by Will’s cousin Meg and a team of volunteers. The Tab wishes Will all the best in his continuing recovery.

More photos from the night can be found here.