Review: Something Wicked

A spine-tingling collection of Shakespeare provides laughs and scares in equal measure

With the help of some spell-binding (excuse the pun) performances, Something Wicked proved to be a thoroughly entertaining collection of Shakespeare’s most supernatural scenes.

Photo: Daniel J Ellis

Staged in the new Bierkeller Theatre, third year English student Annie Price and her team put together an enthralling show, capable of straddling various genres and tones with surprising ease.

Opening with a mix of madness from ‘A Midsummer Night’s Dream’, the skill of the performers left the audience in fits of laughter.

However, any laughs were quickly dispelled by a startling scene from Macbeth. A special mention must go to Kate Davies, whose performance as Lady Macbeth was utterly spine-tingling.

Kate Davies (far left) made for a terrifying Lady Macbeth
Photo: Daniel J Ellis

Credit must go to Price as director and creator, as well as assistant director Toby Almer and producer Ben Gambles for staging an interpretation of Shakespeare capable of originality. Whilst Shakespeare may seem over-done to some, this was a performance which grabbed your attention and refused to let go.

Unfortunately ‘Something Wicked’ only ran for two nights but I’ve heard rumours of a return. If these whispers are true, I’d recommend getting a ticket quickly. If theatre’s not your thing, the price is worth it just for the delicious home made cakes provided at the interval.

All money raised from the show has been donated to Heswall Disabled Childrens Holiday Fund, a charity offering holidays for disabled and terminally ill children free of charge. Anyone keen to contribute and visit their Just Giving page.