Cycling Success For Bristol Team

Performance squad enjoying great start to 2013

A fantastic start to the year for the Cycling Club’s Performance Squad has taken them to third in the regional rankings.

Joe Thomas led the way, winning a sprint finish in the first race of the season at Ludgershall in Wiltshire, picking up ten points for his club and achieving third category status.

Photo: UOBCC

Poor weather delayed further action until February. Eight riders travelled to Ludgershall and performed admirably in a mixed race of 3rd and 4th category riders. Mat Mew and Sam Game continued the momentum by taking 2nd and 3rd places the weekend after.

The highlight so far would have to be 16th February, when Georgina Snowdon-Brett placed 7th in the first Springtime Pursuit in Devon. This brutal 30 mile road race, which featured several elite riders, included an arduous climb, but Georgie, riding alone, managed to stay within the leading pack.

Although a heavy crash took out 3 of the 4 Bristol riders in the men’s pursuit, it wasn’t all bad news. Performance Squad member Jenny Hudson took 3rd in a dominant performance that saw her team take 1st, 3rd and 4th.

On the same day, star man Mat Mew, was continuing to shine, winning the sprint at Ludgershall and advancing to 3rd category. He raced the next day at Portsmouth, once again winning the bunch sprint, taking 7th behind a breakaway of 6 riders.

UoBCC’s thank their sponsors, Mud Dock Cycleworks, Mission Burrito and Orchard, for their continued support.

You can follow the team’s progress at http://www.uobcc.com/results.