Tab 10: What’s On This Week

The Tab’s guide to what’s on this week is back!

The Tab‘s weekly guide to what’s on in Bristol is back. Make sure you don’t miss out on this week’s must-see events.

Monday

CANTEEN JAZZ SESSION @ THE CANTEEN

Whether you’re a budding musician looking for a jam or just a pretentious arts student wanting to listen to some silky smooth nuances, the Canteen has an open jazz jam session on Monday where you can listen to/join the house trio.

Photo: vagueonthehow (Flickr)

LITTLE MIX @ COLSTON HALL

Are you so edgy Motion’s too mainstream? Tired of finding a new song only to hear it at Lounge a week later (what are you doing there? I thought you were edgy?)? Here’s a group no one’s heard of or cares about. The place not to be seen.

Tuesday

KILIMANJARO @ THE EXCHANGE

A Charity night set up by Bristol students (nice ones as well!) to raise money for the practical action and the meningitis research foundation. Features several of Bristol Unis own (very good) DJs. House and minimal dub.

DJANGOS W/ FREIGHT @ THE BIG CHILL

For something less electronically orientated you can always rely on the Big Chill and Bristol’s Jazzfunksoul society every Tuesday for a good night of music. This week, ‘Freight’ are performing ; a Bristol based quartet led by Craig Crofton, an American tenor and soprano saxophonist. Get boogie-ing.

Wednesday

MASSAGE-A-THON 1-5PM LEVEL 3 FOYER, UBU

Fancy getting nice and lubed up this week for charity?  This week is RAG week and they’re teaming up with Massage Soc to bring the aching students of Bristol massages. Massages are just a few pounds – bargain; better than getting felt up for £5 in Bunker.

Thursday

Photo: rebelbingo.com

REBEL BINGO @ Thekla

Not for Nanas. Described as ‘the frontrunners in hedonistic escape’ this is like no other game of Bingo. Involving drinking, dancing and disco-balls, if you do run into your nana here, she’s one cool cat.

Friday

Photo: Paramount Pictures

RAG’S GREASE SING-A-LONG @BRUNEL SUITE, UBU 9PM

A sing-a-long showing of the classic musical, Grease. Slicked back hair a prerequisite.   Tickets are 3 squid.

OUTLOOK 2013 LAUNCH PARTY @ MOTION

Can’t afford Croatia this year? Fear not, for Bristol’s favourite skate park is bringing the Festival to your doorstep in the form of the Outlook Launch party. Apparently Fireman Sam is taking a break from saving the people of Pontypandy to give us some ace Bashment too…

Saturday

BRISTOL DAREDEVIL TOURNAMENT @ ADVENTURISTS HQ

That’s right. For all you thrill seekers who find cycling down Park Street during rush hour doesn’t do it any more for you, why not enter the Daredevil tournament? With a new shorter and more intense one-night format, ending in a big after-party, things are about to get mental in Bristol. Apparently.

Sunday

Photo: The Guardian

LEE HURST – TOO SCARED TO LEAVE THE HOUSE @ COMEDY BOX

Did you think the world was going to end in December? Didn’t think so. All the more reason to head down to the Comedy Box on Sunday and watch Lee Hurst’s hilarious show which pokes fun at end-of-the-world scare stories from acid rain and global warming to bird Flu and mad cow disease.

This week is also the last week you can register for Jailbreak, so get on it!