UWE Sent Packing By Dominant Bristol

Bristol’s tennis players progress in cup with a faultless performance

UWE 2s crashed out of the Conference Cup to their rivals from the other side of the city on an action-packed afternoon for Bristol’s tennis players. 

The Bristol Men’s 1s had the luxury of playing their BUCS league match indoors, whilst the other two teams fought off the gale-force winds outdoors. The boys overcame Bournemouth easily, dropping the only match lost by any Bristol tennis team all day.

Next week, the boys face a tough match in the quarter-finals of the BUCS Trophy against Exeter 2s, who are currently top of the Western 1A Division, with Bristol 1s just three points behind.

Dominant: UWE didn’t stand a chance!

UWE 2s got a little confused en route and turned up an hour and a half late. It was a sign of things to come, as Bristol’s fierce rivals just weren’t strong enough, losing the tie 12-0. With the win, Bristol Men’s 2s go ahead to the semis of the Cup.

The 2s are currently first in the Western 2B Division by a clear seven points. Star Player of the day goes to Maelor James for putting up with Matt Fairbairn’s bright attire in the doubles and not being too embarrassed by his partner’s ‘intentional’ drop-shots.

Eyes On The Prize: James wasn’t distracted by his partner’s eccentric fashion sense

Meanwhile, the girls were up against Cardiff 2s, the team currently top of the BUCS league table. Having drawn in their last meeting, the Bristol girls needed a victory and didn’t disappoint.

Despite poor weather conditions, the girls didn’t drop a match, winning the tie 12-0. They proceed to the semis of the Cup, where they will face either Plymouth 1s or Aberystwyth 1s, who were both beaten 12-0 in previous ties.

For all results and fixtures, please see the Fixtures and Results tab on the BUCS website.