The Bristol Sound

Music news and highlights from those cats over at Burst Radio

clubs music

The Bristol Sound is your best guide to what’s hot in the city’s music scene this week.

New Music

Jessie Ware’s brilliant ‘If You’re Never Gonna Move’ has crept its way into the charts, marking a breakout moment for the perennially underrated singer.

Having sung on tracks with the likes of SBTRKT and Sampha and even spent time as a backing singer in indie band Man Like Me, she recently put together an album for PMR records, home to the likes of Disclosure and Julio Bashmore.

On her latest single local Bristol boy Bashmore is on the buttons, channelling Kelis’ epic ‘Millionaire’, and even making a cheeky cameo in the video. The story is he doesn’t have a driving license, which is why Jessie is the one behind the wheel as they speed off into the sunset…

N.B. You might’ve known this one as ‘110%’, but after trouble clearing a sample from Big Pun’s ‘100%’ Jessie had to re-name the track before release.

Something a bit different now, with local legend DJ Die’s Gutterfunk label once again throwing us an absolute curveball – their last release had Joker on the keyboard as part of ‘Sure Thing’, a local disco supergroup and a royally cheesy video filmed in Motion.

This time round, Jus Now take you on a journey from The Croft to the Carribean, with local artist Interface teaming up with Trinidadian drum-master LAZAbeam. Carnival madness!

What’s On This Week?

Mysterious American Trap DJ UZ brings his syrup-drenched durrty south sound to Thekla this Friday. Trap is a dirty word for some people, but UZ got through on merit, getting renowned tastmaker Diplo’s thumbs up and a release on his Jeffree’s imprint

A real highlight this weekend though is Ben Ufo coming down to the Exchange on Saturday – fresh off the back of his FabricLive mix that’s been getting love from all corners of the music world.

The Hessle Audio co-founder ought to be on top form, bringing along his usual eclectic style and habit of drawing for everything from classic disco to dark techno.

Finally, Julio Bashmore kicks off his UK tour here in his home town – the venue is still a secret, and tickets are hard to come by, but this ought to be a special one

Brought to you by Burst Radio