New Season’s Resolutions

New year, new wardrobe: Martha Cliff looks at what to wear this Spring

It’s official. Christmas is over. We can no longer hang onto New Year like our lives depend on it. Everything worth celebrating has gone.

Feeling depressed yet? I know I am!

With the New Year comes depression, dieting and uncertainty but it also brings something that we can be certain about, the trend forecast.

As Spring/Summer catwalks happen the autumn before, predicting what will be popular over the coming months is hardly rocket science.

So get your shopping lists and Pinterest accounts at the ready, here’s the must-have items if you want a place amongst Bristol’s fashion elite this term.

Peekaboo Pieces

The rule here is definitely less is more. Every season designers give us a new way of revealing flesh. The always-popular bare chest under a blazer made a return at Preen, Dior and Stella McCartney, whilst Balenciaga decried that bra tops were the perfect new workwear staple.

Note to self: best worn with Dutch courage. Probably not suitable for lectures either.

Neon, Neon, Neon

Neon might not be new but what better way to wake us out of our monochrome winter slumber? Louis Vuitton showed off with models descending onto the catwalk from escalators in neon checkerboard prints. Simone Rocha bought a fresh girly translation of the trend in the form of floaty, daisy embroidered fabrics.

We hope the high street has some lined up for us poorer types!

Swinging Sixties

Sometimes you have to look to the past for inspiration and where better to look than the sixties? Expect beehives, sixties silhouettes and thigh-skimming mini-skirts to be all the rage with Bristol’s ‘alternative’ crowd. This look has all the perks of vintage without the jumble sale smell.

Oriental Opulence

The truly fashion-conscious will cast an eye to the East this year. Hermes, Dries Van Noten, Miu Miu and Haider Ackerman all provided lose fitting fabrics, which are very forgiving (just what we could all do with after a Christmas binge.)

Prada and Miu Miu pair airy silks with fur so you can sport the trend early without catching pneumonia on the walk into university.

Be A Good Sport

Cast your eye over any lecture theatre and it’s clear sportswear isn’t just for the gym anymore. Should you want to dress the look up a little, Ashish presents the kind of sports wear we can all deal with: ironic logo sweaters and lazy topknots, student style down to a T.

Richard Nicoll gave the shell suit some much needed glam with patent silver heels, whilst Moschino Chip and Chic did the opposite, pairing party dresses with Nike Air Max.

I’m thrilled that the Lily Allen trend is back as should any thrifty student. Rather than spending money on a taxi, you’ll now be able to jog home from a night out in your gym trainers.

With all this to buy and a new student loan installment to spend, hopefully it won’t be long before you’ve completely forgotten about the C word (Christmas that is).

Don’t be too hasty though. Later this week we’ll take to the High Street to find how you can get this season’s trends without breaking the bank.

Happy New Year!