Women Win
Battle Of The Sexes

Study reveals women find their own gender more attractive to look at than men!

Scientists have proved members of both sexes find women more attractive than men.

The fairer sex?
Picture: Flickr (jingdianmeinv2)

The study, by Bristol University scientists, recorded the eye movements of men and women whilst they were shown pictures of couples. Both guys and girls preferred to look at the female figure rather than the male one.

Surprisingly, this preference for ‘lady shapes’ was even stronger in women than in men. Whilst men would mostly focus on people’s faces, women paid attention to the entire body.

However, this shouldn’t mean people jump to conclusions and assume all women harbour lesbian urges.

When told about the findings, local Jamie Finch, 20, observed that ‘women may not be attracted to other women. They’re just paying a lot of attention because they’re self-conscious about how they look in comparison’.

Interestingly, there was one area of a women’s body which fellow females wouldn’t dare look at: the eyes.

Men had no trouble making eye contact with the pictures but women would avert their gaze downward. Researches believe this is because women are concerned about the negative consequences of making eye contact with other people.

The study may give some explanation for why men and women argue so much though.

If only all fights could be like this…
Photo: Laurent Jean Philippe

‘It’s the most compelling evidence yet that, despite occupying the same world, the viewpoints of men and women can, at times, be very different’ said PhD student Felix Mercer Moss who led the study.

Although this may explain why men and women often disagree, scientists are sadly no closer to discovering how couples can avoid arguing altogether.

More information about the study can be found in the latest PLoS ONE magazine.

Cover Photo: Laurent Jean Philippe