#imjustsayin: Cote Brasserie

This week it’s a Tab first as Cote Brasserie gets 5 stars for its authentic French cuisine.

Where? Cote Brasserie, Clifton Village
When? Saturday 7.30pm
Ordered: Mixed Olives, Saucisson, Pork Rillettes, Confit de Canard, Cotes du Rhone Wine
Bill: Around £30pp
Good For: Authentic French food, great atmosphere
Bad For: Casual drop-ins, be sure to book in advance!

“The value of a smile”
Illustration: Katie Bend

Aaaahh! One of life’s most cherished pleasures has to be indulging in a gorgeous meal which is extraordinarily difficult to falter.

I was lucky enough to experience this when I visited Cote Brasserie on Saturday evening with my boyfriend.

We had last been to the Bath branch of Cote two years before where we had a very nice meal – but nothing exceptional, and so I was eager to see how the Bristol branch compared.

When booking a few days before I could not get a table for two at 8pm, and so I was a bit apprehensive when we arrived at our 7.30 slot to find the restaurant bursting with customers – ‘oh God, how long are we going to have to wait?’

We were greeted with a large smile and shown swiftly to our seat – which was by the window, as requested (I am a sucker for people watching).

Yes it was incredibly busy, but I loved the atmosphere. Instead of being too loud, it was bustling – the room filled with laughter and ‘chit chat’, which automatically put me in a contented and happy mood.

As for the menu, I think I could have happily ordered everything!

Cote is a French brasserie and, as a frequent traveller to France and with my French boyfriend opposite me, it was so satisfying to see a genuine authentic menu Francais.

So many restaurants try to manipulate simple, delicious traditional French dishes to try and create a modern ‘edge’. Cote, on the other hand, has faith in the age old recipes; sticking to what their French staff know best.

I ordered a Kir as an aperitif with some mixed olives (£2.25) and saucisson sec (£2.95) to nibble on before our starters arrived. Within no time at all, my starter of Duck and Pork Rillettes (£5.95) arrived.

The presentation was simple but effective; a little glass jar filled with the coarse rillettes with a layer of hardened melted butter on top. It arrived with toasted baguette, chutney and a gherkin and lettuce salad.

More importantly, it arrived with a lovely smile from our waiter, which always makes a difference. Needless to say, my starter was delicious.

Our plates were taken away swiftly after we had finished. I couldn’t believe it, the restaurant was full capacity (and it is a large restaurant) and yet the service we were receiving seemed as though we were the only – or most important – customers.

We had ordered a bottle of the Cotes Du Rhone Rouge (£22.95) which was delicious. I am not going to bore you with some pretentious ‘I smelt the vineyards in each sip’ bollocks, but I will say that it was a very, very good bottle of wine which complemented our meal perfectly.

Soon enough our mains arrived. I had ordered the Duck Confit (£10.95) which is a favourite of mine. I always find it easy to criticise this dish as I am used to having it home made in the South of France from a generation old recipe.

However, this was to die for. I had ordered a side of potato gratin (£2.95) – which apparently arrived too late according to the waiter, who proceeded to say it was free of charge.  To be honest, I hadn’t even noticed.

On receiving the bill we were given a free apple liquor shot, which topped the evening off in only a way free alcohol can.

The mouth-watering food, the friendly service, and the bustling atmosphere all served to provide one of the best meals I’ve had in Bristol.

I tend to judge food by whether the meal was worth the calorie intake – this was definitely worth it, #imjustsayin.