Tab MVP: Lily Brown & Riti Patel

This week, The Tab doesn’t like cricket…we love it!

This week, it’s two MVP’s for the price of one as The Tab brings you the co-captains of UBWCC, a club which has gone from having only two members to being a fully functioning team in just three years.

Women’s cricket may go unnoticed by many but UBWCC’s team spirit, enthusiasm and dedication have led to a fantastic recent record. Last year, the team made it to the Indoor Finals Day at Lord’s as well as the semi-final of the outdoor competition.

The captains are aiming to better that this year. “We want to really concentrate on coaching the beginners during our indoor training sessions so they have the confidence to do well in outdoor matches in the summer’’, says Riti who is keen to take the Freshers to the next level.

The joint captains were chosen to lead their side for differing reasons. “I’m the organiser” Riti admits, “whereas Lily makes the on-field decisions. She’s Chief Tactician.’’ Between them, they make a winning combination.

“Sumo suits would make fielding much more interesting”

Neither of the girls can get enough of their cricket, with Riti playing for her home team, as well as for Marylebone Cricket Club, whilst Lily plays for Nottinghamshire Ladies.

“It means we can pick up new tricks and drills from more experienced players to put into practise in our training sessions.’’ By combining experience with innovation, and, essentially, ‘borrowing’ tactics from other teams, the girls appear to have it sussed.

The co-captains study Maths and Economics & Politics between them, and their combined brain power has led them to conclude the wearing of Sumo-suits would be their chosen fancy dress cricket kit for the team: ‘’It would make fielding much more interesting’’.

If the captains put as much hard work into their socials as they muster for their cricket, we feel that their club nights might require detailed Tab coverage. As it is, the cricketers can instead usually be found spending evenings at the pub.

When they do hit the town, things often get out of hand. Riti was quick to inform us that fellow captain Lily is renowned for only narrowly avoiding a fight with ‘a woman twice as wide as her’.

As for the “Ritster” herself, making it to Bunker is apparently harder than we thought; a friend was recently required to drive Riti back home after she was caught out by that most cunning of opponents, alcohol.

“We’re going to be introducing an improved version of pub cricket this year’’, Riti informs us, “so watch this space’’. The Tab looks forward to being invited along.