Preview: Student Speed Dating

The Tab looks ahead to tomorrow night’s Speed Dating event at the Union. Will you be lucky in love?

Fed up of looking for love in the corners of Lounge only to find some vomit-stained Fresher who can’t remember their own name?

Bristol students who are looking for that special someone might want to try their luck at tomorrow night’s student speed dating event in the Union.

Even those who still come away empty-handed can take comfort in the knowledge that the money raised will go to a good cause. The night is being run by UBU Volunteering to raise funds for their Christmas community events.

The event has been a regular fixture of the student calendar for several years now and there have been plenty of success stories along the way. “People have actually found love,” organiser Calvin Man told us. “There are still relationships going strong after people met across our tables”.

Speed dating might sound more daunting than the usual alcohol-fuelled Triangle pulling session but students who take part can relax in the knowledge that should a date go badly it will only be a few minutes until the next one comes along, minimising any potential for awkwardness.

Calvin hasn’t always been that fortunate. He told The Tab of a particularly awkward first date which ended when he pretended to receive an urgent phone call forcing him to leave and go home. However, this brilliant plan backfired moments later when she found him sat alone in the park.

Here’s hoping tomorrow night’s dates all run smoother!

Be sure to check back with The Tab later this week to find out how our reporters got on in the search for Mr & Mrs Right!