Tab MVP Special: Josh Lewsey

Arise, Josh Lewsey MBE and now honorary MVP!

This week’s Tab MVP is more than a little special. Everyone, salute the UBRFC legend that is former England rugby international Josh Lewsey.

Josh Lewsey: England Star, Bristol Legend

Josh Lewsey MBE may be best known for his 55 England caps and playing a key role in the World Cup winning squad of 2003, but way back when he was merely another mischievous Fresher.

“I remember many a Friday and Saturday night trying to pinch each other’s stuff from Wills Hall,” says Josh, though he denies ever being a trouble-maker.

“The Warden had to have words with me once because we broke into the kitchens late at night. Only because we were starving – nothing more sinister than that!”

England Record: 55 Caps, 110 Points

When not raiding the pantry, Josh was focused on his pursuit of a career in rugby and it was Bristol’s rugby pedigree which convinced him to leave London and come study here.

“My passion was playing sport, particularly rugby, and Bristol was probably the best city in the country in terms of having a top university and having a top rugby team. Bristol was then in the first division – which is the Premiership – and so I thought why not combine the two.”

However, balancing sport with his studies wasn’t always easy. “When you play professionally, doing them together is increasingly hard.”

Josh receiving an Honorary Doctor of Laws

“I think Bristol, rightly so, is a first rate academic university, so there wasn’t any lee-way given to sportsmen [but] academic universities and sport organisations need to provide lee-weigh as its very important to do them both together.”

Although he has since gone on to greater things, Josh has fond memories of his time in Bristol.

“There are not many other cities which are big enough to do all the things you want to do whilst maintaining a wonderful community; a sense of belonging.”

Josh’s dedication on the rugby field, both as a student and as a professional, is the stuff of legend. Whilst playing for the university at the Safari Sevens tournament in Kenya, Josh contracted food poisoning but refused to let his fellow players down by backing out.

Instead, he continued to play and spent the time between games on a drip in an ambulance, before eventually having to withdraw

Regardless of international honours, this feat alone would be enough to secure Josh an honorary Tab MVP title. We can only hope our current crop of rugby stars prove to be as committed to the cause.