Georgina’s Gourmet Recipes
In this first edition, Georgina walks us through the timeless burger and chips
It’s six o’clock, you’re hungover, you’ve just finished a gruelling two hour seminar and it’s your turn to cook the house meal.
Lacking inspiration?! Georgina’s here for you.
Over the course of this year she’ll be providing Bristol students with recipes for easy, quick and cheap meals which are all obviously mind blowing too!! All you need is a pinch of enthusiasm…
Georgina’s Gourmet Burgers and Chips
This week I’m cooking the old favourite, but fresh not frozen. They’re so easy, a hundred times yummier and a whole lot more satisfying.
Ingredients: (serves 7)
500g Lean Minced Beef
1 Tablespoon Caramelized Onions (from jar)
1 ½ Teaspoon Plain Yoghurt
1 ½ Teaspoon Soy Sauce
1 ½ Teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
1kg Large Potatoes
Extras: (These are up to you, but here are some of our favourites)
Total Cost: (excluding extras)
£14, so £2 per person
1) Start with the chips as they’ll take an hour or so in the oven. Chop the potatoes up, skins on, into even size wedges.
2) Shove them in a roasting tin with loads of salt and pepper and a good splash of oil.
3) And into a 180 degree oven they go.
4) Now for the burgers. Mix all the ingredients in a bowl (more satisfying with bare hands).
5) Mould them tightly to be certain that they cook thoroughly and fit your buns.
6) At this point, check your chips. They should have started to go golden brown. Keep trying them until you think they’re ready. Your burgers can be left covered in the fridge if the chips still have a while to go.
7) Massage both sides of the burgers with oil.
8) Then place them into a HOT frying pan, they should sizzle as you put them in.
9) Try not to flip your burgers too many times, ideally only turn each one once. Depending on size, they should take about 6-10 minutes each side. To be sure they’re cooked, cut one in half.
10) Time to get creative; personalise each bun according to peoples taste and chuck in whatever you fancy.
Fancy something healthier?
There’s no need for buns or chips in this. A green salad would make a great accompaniment or some roasted tomatoes with salt and pepper and drizzled with balsamic vinegar.
Job Done, Enjoy.