Bristol’s Calendar Grrls

Bristol students and staff to feature in science calendar

| UPDATED Alex Skinner bristol tab Dr James Logan Dr Tamsin Edwards Ellie Cosgrave Kate Bellingham Nancy Rothwell ScienceGrrl Suzi Gage the tab bristol university of bristol

Female staff and students from Bristol are to star alongside well-known scientists in a calendar aiming to “excite young women about science”.

Tomorrow’s World presenter Kate Bellingham and Professor Dame Nancy Rothwell are among the famous faces.

ScienceGrrl, the group behind the calendar, was formed after the European Commission’s controversial and misguided, ‘Science: It’s a girl thing’  video was released.

The bungled teaser shows very little science and reinforces stereotypes. Now ScienceGrrl are launching the calendar to encourage, “fairer representation of women in science”.

No inexplicable, sexy dancing in lab coats to be found here

Bristol students and staff Ellie Cosgrave, Suzi Gage and Dr Tamsin Edwards star alongside Dr James Logan of Embarrassing Bodies fame and BBC Horizon presenters Dallas Campbell, Dr Kevin Fong and Dr Adam Rutherford holding portraits of inspiring female scientists.

Suzi (April) is seen recording population patterns in Millennium Square, whilst Ellie (February) stands atop London’s landscape, representing the structural impact of science.

Dr Edwards (October), whose work is to quantify uncertainties in models used to predict the Earth’s future, was snapped examining a giant globe in Exeter’s Met Office.

Definitely not a spoof

Suzi, who initially thought the EC’s misguided video was a spoof, explains that she “wanted to take part in the calendar because I truly believe science is for everyone. Girly girls, tomboys, men and women of all types. I think the calendar gets this across well.”

Dr. October

Dr Edwards, tells how the video “made us so cross that we decided to direct our anger into something useful. The idea to make a calendar quickly gathered momentum.”

The project “raises visibility of real female scientists and also raises funds for projects that encourage more girls and young women into science.”

The calendar can be bought at London’s Science Museum or online here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g032MPrSjFA