Freshers’ Week: 1st Year v 2nd Year

Who had the best time in Freshers’ Week?

The bad memories and hangovers of Freshers’ Week are beginning to fade. Luckily for The Tab, Jamie Jessop is here to remind us how it went and record our thoughts for posterity.

Future generations, take note.

Upon Arriving At Halls

First Year Second Year
“It looks like a prison and I’ve got a smaller room than I did at Eton/Harrow/Radley (delete as appropriate)” (To Parents) “Hello, welcome, your daughter is going to have a great time here…”
(To Self) Solid 8/10

Relationships

First Year Second Year
EITHER Single, pringle and ready to mingle
OR In a relationship (give it three months)
The movie Hall Pass is thoroughly unrealistic!

Fancy Dress

First Year Second Year
Must make an effort. I think I’ll buy a tiger costume from Primark. Oh, so has everyone else.
ALTERNATIVELY: I’m too edgy for this; I’ll go in a tracksuit instead of a suit.
ALTERNATIVELY (AGAIN): I’m too edgy for this; let’s go to a club instead with cool second years. I hear Lounge is the place to be…
The theme is something beginning with B? What’s easy…Boy?

Photo: Hiatt Baker

First Night At The Hall Bar

First Year Second Year
“What’s your name, what do you study, where do you come from? Hey, I’m from North London too!”
(Must get laid to lose increasingly burdening virginity)
“Yeah. I’m a cool second year. So cool I’m on the JCR.”
(Must get laid to lose that terrifyingly burdening virginity that I never lost first time round and is the only reason for me being on the JCR)

Night Out At Walkabout

First Year Second Year
“Excuse me, are you Australian?” “Hey, I know what’ll be funny, Excuse me…”

Pam Pam

First Year Second Year
I literally can’t move and I’ve just hit my head on the ceiling.
I also think I may have just walked into the girl’s toilets.
Let’s spend the whole night complaining about what a crap time we’re having and then come back next week.

Photo: Pam Pam

Bar Crawl

First Year Second Year
“IT’S RAINING. WHY IS IT ALWAYS RAINING?  WHAT GENIUS DECIDED TO HAVE THE BAR CRAWL TONIGHT?” “IT’S RAINING. WHY IS IT ALWAYS RAINING?  WHAT GENIUS DECIDED TO HAVE THE BAR CRAWL TONIGHT? Oh yeah…Let’s just get a cab.”

Vanity

First Year Second Year
This place is alright, I might come back here. Where?

Syndicate

First Year Second Year
I literally can’t move again and now I’ve lost everyone. It’s nice to meet new people, BUT NOT THIS MANY.
“Hi, what’s your name? What halls did you say you were at again? Oh, you don’t even go to Bristol University? What the hell are you doing in my club then?”
That person I met once from my hall is working tonight over there; they’ll let me into VIP for sure.

Illness

First Year Second Year
Starting to feel Ill by the end of the week. I think I have Meningitis. Ill by the third night, wondering how you ever managed this last year.

Photo: Anita Hart

Friends

First Year Second Year
I’m on a really nice floor; everyone gets along so well. I’m so lucky! (Oh God, that weird girl from my floor last year is walking towards me. Head down. Head down. I’m on my phone. Crap.)
“Oh Hi! Nice to see you…”

First Wee In The Sink

First Year Second Year
1 month in 1 night in