Students Protest Sports Fees

Students outraged by removal of pay-as-you-go membership

Over 1,000 students have signed an online petition demanding the University of Bristol reintroduce a pay-as-you-go system for sports facilities.

The petition, started by second year Biology student, Joe Hawksworth, and the Underwater Club argues that the new annual pass policy is ‘expensive, restrictive and elitist’.

Losing pounds

Under the new system, anyone wishing to access the University’s sports facilities must purchase an annual sports pass. These are priced at £250 peak and £150 off-peak, with two and three year options also available.

This extra fee jeopardises long-standing clubs that rely on marginal use of the University facilities, such as UBUC and the Life Saving club.

The petition has recently received the full backing of UBU, following a meeting between Hannah Pollak, VP Sport and Health, and senior management at the University.

‘The Union will launch a campaign’

Joe asserts ‘the petition has opened a promising dialogue with the University; the number of signatories so far is very encouraging’. His target is 1,900 signatures, 10% of the student body.

Alex Brinkmeyer, former president of UBUC, says ‘it’s ironic that the University encourages sport, yet increases costs by a huge amount’.

‘It’s even more ironic that some Uni clubs are looking for private facilities which have now become cheaper!’

Societies are looking for alternative pools

Last year, UBUC used the pool for evening sessions and the occasional intensive weekend session, but with each member now facing a £250 fare, they will have to seriously consider private facilities or risk losing a lot of members.

The treasurer of the Life Saving club also states that ‘Life Saving would lose most of its remaining core members and probably a lot of sign-ups’.

Divers must pay an extra £250

The petition demands that the University:

• Reintroduces a pay as you go system for sports facilities during both peak and off peak periods.
  • Revokes the stipulation that all members of University Sports Clubs should purchase a Sports Pass to use University facilities for training and matches.

Following Hannah Pollak’s meeting with the University management, Joe informs the Tab:

‘The University is formalising its response, if the pay-as-you-go system is not reintroduced the Union will launch a campaign’.

‘The coming days will reveal whether or not the University genuinely cares for student opinion’.

Sign the petition here: http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/university-of-bristol-reintroduce-a-pay-as-you-go-system-for-sports-facilities