BRISTOL DESTROYS RIVALS IN UNI RANKINGS

Bristol surges up to 28th in the QS World University rankings, leaving Manchester, Bath and Durham in their wake

Bristol University has moved up two places to 28th in the QS World University Rankings, far above local rivals UWE, who failed to make the list of 700. 

The QS table, widely regarded as one of the most accurate, rates Bristol as the seventh best university in the UK, with Cambridge at number one, although the Massachusetts Institute of Technology pipped them to the overall top spot.

Basking in the glory

The University of West England fell short of the ranked top 600, along with the Open University and the University of Baghdad. Other top British universities such as Durham (92nd) and Warwick (58th) were well shy of Bristol’s position.

‘Anyone can get into UWE, literally anyone’

Third year Physiology student, Matt Clarke, commented, ‘At the end of the day, anyone can get into UWE, literally anyone’. This is in stark contrast to the AAA/AAB grades and stellar personal statements required for most Bristol degrees.

With seven British universities in the top 30, the QS table strengthens this country’s excellent academic reputation. The scores are largely based on the opinions of 46,000 academics and 25,000 employers worldwide, with academic reputation given the most weight at 40%.

In recent national league tables Bristol has not ranked so highly. This is partly due to low student satisfaction scores, which are given more weight in rankings such as The Guardian’s, where Bristol was placed 18th.

Matt Clarke continued, ‘All said and done, it’s about results, not just having a good time, although I myself am regularly satisfied’. Bristol has hovered around 30th place for the last four years, and looks set to keep its worldwide academic reputation with the building of a new Life Sciences centre and an increased student intake.

It wasn’t all bad news for UWE though, their QS profile informs the world they have a ‘library with over 500,000 books’.