We spoke to the ASOS fashion team about what everyone is wearing on campus this winter

By ASOS

After our six-month-long tropical summer, most of us had forgotten what it was like to be cold. But now the weather has turned against us – it’s pretty obvious winter is here to stay, so summer dresses and shorts aren’t going to cut it anymore.

We know you don’t want to freeze to death walking to uni, but that you also probably don’t have the funds to splash on a whole new wardrobe, so we spoke to Warren and Lulu, two stylists at ASOS, about the three key items you definitely need to buy this winter.

They’ve selected the most versatile winter buys and told us how you can style them in three different ways, so you won’t feel as bad about dipping into your Christmas present budget.

Get 10 per cent student discount at ASOS all year round – start shopping here

The High-Neck Top

The High-Neck Top

Girls

The checked high-neck top, styled three ways

Warren: Checks are really in this season, for girls and guys. There’s a nod to menswear in a lot of women’s dressing, so a traditional checked fabric that you’d normally see in menswear garment is now cool for girls to wear.

We love this shirt because it’s cropped with long sleeves and a high neck, as well as the checks, so it’s embracing loads of different trends and styles of dressing in one garment.

Girls

Look 1

Warren: With the high-waisted, cropped jeans, this top is a really wearable for a day on campus. You can make a statement, but it’s not too overpowering or in-your-face.

It’s a really nice, practical look – especially coming into winter, you’ll need a sturdy shoe and a heavy jacket that’s going to keep you warm, and this look does that without sacrificing looking cool.

Chloe wears:

Collusion crop top, ASOS Design Curve skinny jeans, ASOS Design Curve biker jacket, Dr Martens Utility Boots, ASOS Design hoop earrings

Look 2

Lulu: We really liked this co-ord, because it’s just plain cool. You can dress it down with a jacket or accessorise it really minimally, and let the outfit itself do the talking.

Warren: Co-ords always work really well, and they look good on pretty much everyone. If it’s your first term, and you really want to stand out and make a statement, then this is the perfect look to do it in. Also, it’s really comfy – the set is a nice brushed cotton, and with the chunky trainers it’s great to wear for a long day at uni.

Cathleen wears:

Collusion crop top, Collusion wide-leg trousers, ASOS Design beanie, Skechers D’Lites, Fjallraven Kanken Backpack

Look 3

Warren: This look works because it’s matching something that’s quite out-there (the top) with a neutral and wearable skirt, but it’s also comfortable at the same time.

By teaming it with black accessories like the beret, the faux-python bag and the boots, it’s really practical, especially if you’ve got to travel to campus from your halls or your house, whatever the weather. 

Lulu: Also, with this look, if you wanted to swap out the skirt for some jeans, you could do a double denim look which would look really nice with the boots – this look is about paring down a statement garment to become an outfit that’s really wearable for the daytime.

Susy wears:

Collusion crop top, ASOS Design Tall midi skirt, Pull&Bear Denim Jacket, ASOS Design hoop earrings, ASOS Design Realm ankle boots, ASOS Design beret, PrettyLittleThing top handle bag

Shop these looks and get 10 per cent student discount at ASOS

Boys

The roll-neck top, styled three ways

Lulu: Roll-necks are really on trend, and can elevate any outfit. You just look good as soon as you put one on, they’re so easy to wear and they go with most things.

Boys

The roll-neck top, styled three ways

Look 1

Warren: In menswear at the moment, the skater vibe is as popular as ever – it’s the ultimate level of cool.

This look translates super exclusive trends from labels like Supreme, into an outfit that’s really easy to wear and pull off, especially if you’re into a skater vibe. You can just wear it on campus and it’s casual. Even if you’ve never skated a day in your life you can still get away with it.

Kosta wears: 

ASOS White t-shirt with turtle neck, ASOS Design chinos, ASOS Design jacket, ASOS Design desert boots, ASOS Design pinky ring (just seen) 

Look 2

Warren: It’s quite a daring look to mix it with yellow jeans and a purple hat, but it’s all about being explorative and pushing the boundaries.

Of course, you don’t necessarily have to wear it with yellow jeans and a purple hat – you can tone it down with something like a navy or a mid-wash jean.

Ruben wears:

ASOS White t-shirt with turtle neck, Lacoste LIVE puffer jacket, Collusion cord trousersASOS Design beanie, Nike Air Force 1 ’07 trainers

Look 3

Lulu: With this one, we’ve kept it quite minimal for people who maybe don’t like to be that extravagant with what they wear. This look is simple, clean, and generally easy to wear.

Andy wears: 

ASOS White t-shirt with turtle neck, ASOS Design chinos in navy, ASOS Design puffer jacket, adidas Originals Yung-1 trainersASOS Design watch (just seen) 

Get all your winter essentials at ASOS – get 10 per cent off these looks here

The Jacket

The Jacket

Boys

The puffer jacket, styled three ways

Lulu: Puffer jackets aren’t going anywhere – anyone and everyone can wear one. At the moment, again, they fit really well into this whole skatewear aesthetic that’s going on, and they’re super practical because they’re so warm.

Warren: You can mix a puffer jacket by wearing some contrasting fabrics, trainers, or dressing it up with a backpack or a bucket hat – they’re really easy to wear.

Boys

The puffer jacket, styled three ways

Look 1

Lulu: This look is in keeping with the huge sportswear trend that we’re seeing at the moment, but paring it back so that you could wear it comfortably at uni.

Andy wears: 

Collusion puffer jacket, ASOS Design velour striped long-sleeve t-shirt, Fila Track Joggers, CAT Intruder trainers, ASOS Design backpack, DC Shoes Bucket Hat

Look 2

Warren: This look is about taking something that is a statement garment and paring it down with an everyday tee. We’ve also styled it with these jeans, which are a really nice cut, so it hypes the “fashion” element of the look.

Lulu: We’ve also put it with a pair of Vans and some white socks, which everyone already has, so you don’t need to splash out on shoes. Essentially, it’s about adding pops of colour, but also keeping it super simple.

Ruben wears:

Collusion puffer jacket, ASOS White tapered jeans, ASOS Design t-shirt, Vans checkerboard trainers, ASOS Design earring pack, ASOS Design sport socks, ASOS Design bum bag

Look 3

Warren: What’s nice about this look is that it’s a complete mismatch of textures – you’ve got the nylon of the cap and the backpack, with the brushed nylon of the jacket, then you’ve got a silky shirt, and a classic black skinny jean. It’s just interesting from start to finish.

Also, I think it just shows how versatile the jacket is – we’ve been able to pair it with Dr Martens, vans and chunky trainers, and it looks cool with everything. You can completely make it your own personal style, however you like to dress.

Kosta wears: 

Collusion puffer jacket, Collusion floral shirt, Dr Martens shoes, ASOS Design baseball cap, ASOS Design skinny jeansASOS Design backpack

Students get 10 per cent off at ASOS – shop these winter essentials here

Girls

The shearling cord jacket, styled three ways

Warren: This jacket is amazing value for money because once again, it’s such a versatile garment. It’s the kind of jacket that you can wear from summer to winter, so you can buy it now, wear it with a jumper and jeans, and then you can transition it into a summer piece by wearing it with a crop top, or even a bikini top.

Girls

Look 1

Warren: For this look particularly we wanted to emphasise the fact that the skate trend passes over both men’s and women’s wear – we wanted to explore how quite a male-led thing, skating, can be worn in more of a girly way.

Lulu: The crop top and the mini skirt all have quite a 90’s throwback feel, especially with the fluffy bag and denim jacket – with the shearling detailing, and paired with some vans and white socks, it’s a really cool look.

Susy wears:

Monki cord jacket, Bershka crop top, Pepe Jeans patent mini skirt, Vans slip on trainers in checkerboard (not seen), ASOS Design mini bag, ASOS Design socks in white (not seen)

Look 2

Lulu: You’d probably think of this as being quite a casual jacket, but this look shows that if you pair it with a little dress and the right bag and shoes, you can really dress it up. It’s also practical because you’ve got a cosy, warm coat.

Warren: You’re not going to freeze to death while you’re waiting for your Uber back from a party.

Cathleen wears: 

Monki cord jacket, Lost Ink cami dress, ASOS Design turtle neck top, ASOS Design hoop earrings (just seen), ASOS Design Cross Body Bag, ASOS Design Pointed Ballet Flats

Look 3

Lulu: This rainbow jumper is just really fun and happy and most importantly, comfortable. It’s an everyday look that you can just throw on and feel good in, and it’ll keep you warm through the winter.

Chloe wears:

Monki cord jacket, ASOS Design jumper, Weekday wide leg jean, adidas Originals Zx Rm Trainers, ASOS Design fluffy beanie, Steve Madden hoop earring

Get these must-have looks for winter – students get 10 per cent off at ASOS 

The Bottoms

The Bottoms

Girls

The tiger-print skirt, styled three ways

Lulu: The animal print trend was really big over the summer, and it’s carrying on into winter too. It’s a classic, because it’s got elements of vintage style, but at the same time it’s bold and allows you to express your identity.

Girls

Look 1

Warren: Print clash is a massive trend that you’ll see everywhere, from catwalk to campus. Clashing prints and mixing them together like we’ve done with the top, skirt and even the socks, is a really easy, comfy way to make a statement.

Lulu: We’ve pared the patterns back here with Fila Disruptors and a simple puffer jacket just to bring all the elements of the print together – these are clothes that many students own, so you can easily incorporate a really stand-out piece into your wardrobe and make it work with what you’ve already got.

Chloe wears:

ASOS Design tiger print mini skirt, Collusion Unisex stripe t-shirt, Collusion puffer jacket, Fila x Liam Hodges ML3 Distruptor Trainers, ASOS Design socks, Pieces Ring Trio

Look 2

Warren: We’ve dressed the skirt up slightly more formally here, to show that you can wear it to a dinner, date, or even on a night out. It’s a little bit more grown up, but it really makes a statement and still allows you to express your personality.

The little sock and tassel loafers stop the look being too OTT, especially when it’s teamed with a cool bag and some subtle jewellery. This leather-look coat will always help you stand out in a crowd, especially with the tiger-print skirt.

Susy wears:

ASOS Design tiger print mini skirt, ASOS Design turtle neck, Pepe Jeans jacket, ASOS Design Maxfield loafers, ASOS Design multirow necklace, ASOS Design sock, My Accessories London cross body bag

Look 3

Lulu: The hot pink jumper gives this simple look a bit of an interesting edge – it’s quite smart with the little shoe, the earrings and the bag, but it’s also the kind of thing you could get away with wearing every day if you wanted to.

You’d definitely be comfortable spending all day in this on campus, and you could even pair it with some trainers if you needed to walk to-and-from uni.

Cathleen wears: 

ASOS Design tiger print mini skirt, Oasis cable knit jumper, PrettyLittleThing top handle bag, ASOS Design Tiger leopard print shoes, ASOS Design earrings

Get 10 per cent off at ASOS – shop all of these looks now

Boys

The checked trousers, styled three ways

Warren: Checked cotton bottoms are usually super-smart, but because these have an elasticated waistband and are slightly cropped in the leg, they can be worn really casually.

It’s important to have a go-to formal look in your arsenal, but these are the best of both worlds – you could definitely wear them to work or to an interview, but they’ll also work for a full day in uni.

Boys

The checked trousers, styled three ways

Look 1

Lulu: We’ve used the trousers here to create a Scandi look – it’s slightly more pared-back, but it’s still chic. By adding some smart elements like the loafer and the oversized black jacket, you could easily translate this from day to night if you wanted to head out straight from uni.

Kosta wears:

Mennace smart joggers, Collusion overcoat, ASOS Design loafers, ASOS Design sterling silver earring pack

Look 2

Warren: Mixing these trousers with a formal shirt and a mac means you can dress them up to be quite smart – they’re casual and comfy enough to wear to uni, but then, for example, if you have to go to out straight from your lecture you can do that easily with these. You could even pair then with a white cotton t-shirt and some fresh trainers.

Andy wears:

Mennace smart joggers, ASOS Design short sleeve shirt, Converse All Star plimsolls, ASOS Design Tall coat

Look 3

Lulu: This look mixes the formal element of these trousers with the really popular skate vibe, so it’s a bit smarter than if you wore them with a puffer jacket.

I think because they’ve got an elasticated waist, you could almost wear these how you’d wear a pair of Adidas tracksuit bottoms, but still look like you’ve made an effort.

Ruben wears:

Mennace smart joggers, New Look colour block jacket, Collusion t-shirt in burgundyASOS Design loafers, ASOS Design sport socks, ASOS Design chain bracelet, ASOS Design St Christopher necklace 

Make sure you've got all the right garms to keep you warm this winter

Students get 10 per cent discount at ASOS, so you won’t have to rip into your loan to look your best

Shop these ASOS winter essentials here

Photographer: Romany Francesca Mukoro
Models: Cathleen Voysey, Chloe Pierre, Susy Etionsa, Ruben Madelon, Kostadinos Adesina, Andy Basquiat
Makeup Artist: Grace Peploe
Directed by: Fiona Willmott and Louis Bradley

Shop these ASOS winter essentials here

Photographer: Romany Francesca Mukoro
Makeup Artist: Grace Peploe