Your browser version is outdated. Please update your browser to the latest version for an optimal experience.

TheTab logo
NatWest logo

The Tab's Guide to

You’ve finally made it. The capital is the place where you’re going to get geared up to become a proper Londoner - and there’s so much to do that you’ll hardly know where to start. From new bars appearing around every corner to some of the best and most diverse dining experiences in the UK, you’re certainly going to get your fill. Yeah you’re probs paying a bit more than your mates at other unis, but how can you complain when you’ve got so much fun right on your doorstep? This may well be student heaven.

Coronavirus advice for London

The latest information

Make sure you check Government advice for London before you go

For now UCL and King's will be open as usual, with online lessons being offered and in-person learning such as smaller seminars taking place. Libraries and public spaces will be available to a limited extent, with social distancing measures being implemented.

Royal Holloway, SOAS, London Met, Imperial, LSE, Queen Mary, Westminister and Birkbeck will be delivering a mixture of face-to-face and online learning - with lectures online and smaller classes on campus.

University halls across London will open as usual, with extra safety measures to be announced.

Social distancing measures will be implemented across all London campuses, and regular cleaning and disinfecting will take place.

Being a local

Where to live

South-East

South East London has a huge student community. There's artsy areas and more suburban areas, so there's something for everyone

£

Places like Peckham and New Cross are really sociable, no matter your vibe you'll always find something to do after lectures

Distance to central uni campuses: 30 minutes on the Tube

A Tesco superstore, a Sainsbury's superstore, Lidl, Aldi and a Morrisons

South-West

Clapham and Brixton are popular student areas and full of young professionals so there's always a fun buzz about

Mid-range

There's a wide range of pubs and bars within walking distance

Distance to central uni campuses: 20 minutes on the Tube

A Lidl and a Waitrose

Central

Very nice houses, but not a massively studenty area as it's too expensive

££££

Central isn't very sociable as most students live further out and go to bars and restaurants in less expensive areas of London

Distance to un central uni campuses: A 10-minute bus or 5 minutes on the Tube

A Tesco Express, Sainsbury's Local and a Co-op

West

West London has a real mix of middle-class Londoners and students

£££

There's definitely a social vibe, but it's not as student friendly as other areas of London

30 minutes on the Tube

A Lidl, Aldi, and a Waitrose

North

Home to as many young professionals as students nowadays, up-and-coming areas like Tottenham are full of artsy cafes and great bars

££

Social life in North London can be a bit patchy, with some areas like Camden being super sociable, whereas other areas like East Finchley being much more family friendly

30 minutes on the Tube

A Lidl, Aldi and a large Tesco and Sainsbury's

Being a local

Tips and tricks

Helpful things to know

When looking for a place to live, try and be near a Tube station as you'll inevitably have to use it to get to uni and this will make your journey so much easier

When renting make sure you read your contract thoroughly before signing - London rent is expensive and you'll really want that deposit back

When nightlife reopens, try a variety of different things around London. There are lots of nights with good music away from central London, which have cheaper drinks and more relaxed door policies

Don't stay in one area of the city during uni, make sure you venture out to the different boroughs and get a real taste of London

The cheapest way to travel is to get a 16-25 railcard and link it to a student Oyster Card as this will save you the most money

Download the Citymapper app for getting around London. It's a lifesaver when trying to find the quickest route and planning travel when Tube lines are down

Everything you need to do before you leave

Go to Stables Market in Camden Town

Check out the view at Frank’s Cafe in Peckham

Visit Parliament Hill

Go to Dover Street Market

Take the Clipper Boat

If they go ahead in 2021, check out some day Festivals like Lovebox, Field Day, Wireless and British Summer Time

Go to Somerset House

Visit Tate Lates at the Tate Modern when it starts again

Go to Little Venice and check out the bars on the canal

Watch the sunset on Primrose Hill

Daily life

Transport tips

Taxi services
  • The best way to save money is to download the following apps and check for when they're doing offers and discounts:
  • Bolt
  • Ola
  • Via Van
  • Kapten
  • Uber
Public transport
  • The Underground from £2.40 a journey, and capped at £7.20. Buses are £1.50 for unlimited travel within the hour (prices correct as at 18th August 2020)
Going Home

If you feel you need to get away from it all, don’t worry.

Choose a free four year National Express Coachcard when you open your NatWest Student Account to get a third off fares and travel to and from your parents’ place for cheaper. Alternatively, you can choose from a free four year tastecard or one year free Amazon Prime Student (plus a £10 gift card).
Account eligibility criteria applies. Offer T&C's apply. Apply online only

Nightlife (when it opens

Clubs

XOYO
Location:

Shoreditch

Type of music:

House, Techno and Bass

Egg
Location:

Camden

Type of music:

Hip Hop, RnB, House and Bass

Printworks
Location:

Canada Water

Type of music:

Live music, Electronic and Hip Hop

Bussey Building
Location:

Peckam

Type of music:

Soul

Prince of Wales
Location:

Brixton

Type of music:

Funk, Soul and Old School Classics

Ministry of Sound
Location:

Elephant and Castle

Type of music:

House

The Roxy
Location:

Just off Oxford Street

Type of music:

Pop, Retro, Disco and Electronic

Fire and Lightbox
Location:

Vauxhall

Type of music:

DnB, Techno

Corsica Studios
Location:

Elephant and Castle

Type of music:

Techno

Heaven
Location:

Charing Cross

Type of music:

Mainstream and Pop

Food and Drink

Places to eat and drink

Food around campus in central
  • Franco Manca on Maiden Lane
  • My Old Dutch on High Holborn
  • The Breakfast Club on Southwark Street
  • Terry’s Cafe in Southwark
  • Byron Burger in Covent Garden
  • Chancery Press on Chancery Lane
  • Gourmet Burger Kitchen in Covent Garden
  • Chinatown
  • Hare Krishna at King's, UCL and LSE
  • Homeslice in Neal's Yard
Places to eat out
  • Omeara in London Bridge
  • Padella in London Bridge
  • Brick Lane in Shoreditch
  • Flat Iron Square in London Bridge
  • Mercato Metropolitano in Borough
  • The Stables Market in Camden
  • Spitalfields Market by Liverpool Street

If you fancy eating out, you could choose a free four year tastecard and get 2 for 1 or 50% off food when you open your NatWest Student Account. Alternatively, you can choose from one year free Amazon Prime Student (plus a £10 gift card) or a free four year National Express Coachcard.

Casual pints
  • The Nell Gwynne on The Strand
  • The Owl and The Pussycat in Shoreditch
  • The Lord Nelson in Southwark
  • The Knights Templar on Chancery Lane
Bars for a night out
  • The Old Queen's Head in Angel
  • Frank's Cafe in Peckham
  • Blues Kitchen in Brixton and Shoreditch
  • Gremio de Brixton in Brixton
  • Oslo in Hackney
  • Brilliant Corners in Dalston

Open a NatWest Student Account and choose from either a free four year tastecard, one year free Amazon Prime Student (plus a £10 gift card) or a free four year National Express Coachcard Account eligibility criteria applies Offer T&C's apply. Apply online only