Domestic Abuse

Helping resolve issues between victims and perpetrators of domestic abuse

read more
Substance Misuse

Helping people suffering with addiction, as well as those around them

read more
Children and Family

Helping families manage during difficult times

read more
Mental Health

Helping people with mental illness live healthy, independent lives

read more

Domestic Abuse

A social worker's role in domestic abuse focuses on resolving issues between victims and perpetrators of domestic abuse, no matter the position in the family or relationship. Domestic abuse workers work in line with jurisdiction and family law to make sure that victims are safe and can be kept safe, as well as offering effective solutions that can be adopted to eradicate any influence of domestic abuse on people's lives.

As a grad

The best way to become a social worker is part of a graduate programme (if you haven't already pursued an undergrad degree in the field). You'll be listed with the relevant institutional bodies to enable you to become a social worker, like the HCPC, NHS or BASW. You'll be meeting your clients on a daily basis, getting to know all the important people in their lives, doing a large chunk of administration and logging to make sure everything is recorded, and maintaining good relationships to show people they can trust you.

salary bands and hours

£20k – £26k Around 37- 40 hours per week, with occasional extra hours

training

There are generally two routes you can go down to become a qualified social worker. If you've studied social work for your undergrad or postgrad degree, you can apply for jobs straight away by going to your local authority and receiving specific training there. There are, however, fast track schemes, including Frontline's Leadership Development Programme, Think Ahead's Mental Health Programme, or Social Work Bursaries, that you can enter without a degree in social work. You'll embark on a 6-week training course, then spend your first year shadowing a senior social worker and working on cases with their guidance. You'll also attend lecture days at a university to complete a postgraduate diploma (subsidised) in social work. Alongside this, you'll complete your Assessed and Supported Year in Employment (ASYE), as well as being responsible for your own cases.

progression

You may work for local government, an independent organisation, all kinds of children's services, in hospitals or mental health trusts. With more experience, you could become a more senior practitioner, or you have the opportunity to move laterally into something more managerial like team leader or senior social worker. You could also move into a more supervisory role where you run a refuge project or family centre, where you will plan, deliver and evaluate family services.

necessary skills and requirements

Skills:
  • A strong passion for changing lives for the better
  • Physical and mental stamina
  • The ability to abide by confidentiality laws
  • The ability to absorb the legal information and be patient in reading large texts
  • Enjoying working with people and have great interpersonal skills
  • Confidence in your decision making
  • Be an organised individual with good written and verbal English skills
  • Be able to remain patient in a crisis situation
  • Be an active listener and resilient
  • Be creative and good at improv solution hacking
Requirements:
  • You need to have a 2:1 in a degree at university. You'll also ideally have a driver's license to get to and from your meetings and appointments.

top tips

You need to have real-life experience of dealing with risk-led management and support planning to be relatable to any of your cases.

testimonials

Frontline are offering graduates from all degrees a new route into children’s social work – you get a masters qualification after the two-year programme and a salary ranging up to £35k
Apply now

Apply for Frontline's Leadership Development Programme – applications close 19th November 2018