Sales

Salespeople work as account managers for some of the world’s biggest brands, owning their business and creating the sales strategy and plans to grow the brand and the overall category.

read more
Manufacturing

The manufacturing team work on new innovations to develop, install, and monitor the processes and equipment that turn raw materials into a product that can be sold in stores.

read more
Marketing

Marketing managers take on the role of both marketer and brand builder, owning their own brand to build and make it a market success.

read more
Research and Development

In R&D, managers work on inventing the next big thing, leading teams of scientists, engineers and technical staff to create new products and improve on existing ones.

read more
Tech & IT

IT and tech services at an FMCG company merge business and technology with innovation to create competitive advantages.

read more
Logistics and Supply Chain Management

The overall role of a logistics and supply chain manager is to manage the transfer of goods.

read more
Consumer & Market Knowledge

Consumer & market knowledge managers integrate shopper needs and market understanding to catalyze business growth.

read more
HR

HR managers are tasked with driving business growth and using innovative strategy to look after some of the world’s best talent across the globe and help them to perform at their best.

read more

Sales

Forget what you know about sales, because in FMCG, sales is a different role altogether. There isn't any cold calling – instead, salespeople work as account managers for some of the world’s biggest brands. Sales managers own their business –usually a brand with a retailer – and create the sales strategy and plans to grow the brand and the overall category. Their overall objective is to consistently increase sales figures, and boost revenue profitably for both the retailer and supplier by building meaningful and long-lasting relationships. If you are a driven individual who wants to work with some of the world's best-loved brands, this could be the role for you.

As a grad

Even as a grad you will probably have your own account to run, be given the responsibility of your own mini-business and be tasked with building your brand in a retailer. You will need to budget well and have financial and commercial acumen, as your role will be to manage key accounts and simultaneously forge positive relationships with clients, create business plans, and drive sales to make money for their company.

salary bands and hours

• £22k – £34k
  • Average of 40 – 45 hours per week

training

Training is usually provided in-house – you’ll learn from more senior salespeople who have plenty of experience in the industry. This will generally involve shadowing them and learning on the job, working your way up to bigger accounts as you progress.

progression

From starting off as a sales executive, you'll progress to area sales manager, then to national sales manager, and eventually become sales director, depending on results and your performance. As well as moving up within your industry, you'll also develop the skills to move into related sales fields such as advertising, marketing, or public relations.

necessary skills and requirements

Skills:
  • You'll need to be happy and comfortable with being on-the-go
  • Excellent communication skills, particularly in terms of presenting and pitching
  • Good interpersonal skills and the ability to build strong and lasting relationships with clients
  • Strong negotiation skills are required in order to get the best value out of your clients
  • Financial skills and the ability to crunch numbers are a must
Requirements:
  • A 2:2 or above in any degree discipline, although having a degree in Business, Management or Marketing may improve your chances.

top tips

Try and get any relevant work experience or involvement with university activities, especially where socialising and building relationships is involved. This will help you stand out, and prove that you can demonstrate the skills necessary to succeed in the job.

testimonials

If you want to work for one of the world's largest consumer goods company in a fast-paced dynamic environment, kickstart your career at P&G
Find out more

P&G are looking for motivated, driven individuals to join their wide range of internships, placements and graduate roles