Building Services Engineering

Building services engineers design, install and maintain the services a building needs to function

read more
Commercial Planning

Planners decide what land should be used for, including retail, housing, leisure or industrial purposes

read more
Residential Surveying

Residential surveyors specialise in land or property for living purposes. They value land, sell property on behalf of the client and advise customers where to invest their money

read more
Commercial Surveying

Commercial surveyors specialise in land or property intended for business purposes (shops, offices, warehouses or depots) and their aim is to make as much money possible on behalf of their client

read more
Project Management

A project manager oversees an entire project from start to finish, working closely with the client and ensuring all deadlines and budgets are followed

read more
Building Surveying

Building surveyors work on the development side of a project, offering advice on property and construction, and ensuring the build is sustainable and environmentally protected for the future

read more
Quantity Surveying

Quantity surveyors advise and manage costs on all aspects of building and civil engineering projects

read more

Building Services Engineering

A building services engineer designs, installs and maintains the services a building needs to function. This could include lighting, heating, health and safety, ventilation and security. If you're interested in sustainability as well as developing and implementing new technologies, this could be the role for you.

As a grad

As a grad, you'll assist in designing, planning and implementing the different facilities a building needs in order for it to function – like power and water supply, for instance. You'll work with plans and diagrams to find out where pipes, wiring and more can fit in (using design and modelling computer software), oversee installations and work with structural engineers, architects and builders to make sure the design can go from blueprint to reality. You'll also manage costs and budgets, as well as working closely with local councils and sustainability organisations.

salary bands and hours

• £22k – £28k
  • 37.5 hours per week

training

The first things you will receive training in are CAD (computer-aided design) software and BIM (building information modelling) computer programmes. You'll also learn how to budget, allocate and forecast expenditure for each building, as well as training in how to stick to your budget. You'll be trained in which buildings need which facilities, where to source equipment, as well as getting to know your company's clients and contractors too. You'll also be trained in the legal requirements and processes in your area, which can be dependent on the scope of the project as well as on the location.

progression

You'll start off as a graduate building services engineer, and will work towards chartership with the CIBSE (Chartered Institute of Building Services Engineers) or with another organisation monitored by an engineering council. Getting your chartership will determine how quickly you progress to project engineer, since getting it means you have access to more complex projects. From there, it takes on average around four years to progress to associate – this is a more managerial and advisory role, overseeing innovative and environmentally sustainable long-term projects. From there the sky’s the limit – you could become a senior partner or a managing director. You could manage a department for a big client, or even conduct research to help the field. There’s even the potential to become a university lecturer.

necessary skills and requirements

Skills:
  • Need to have a passion for sustainability
  • Good analytical and numerical skills
  • To be a clear communicator
  • Possess a talent for design and visuals
  • Work well to time pressure and deadlines
Requirements:
  • This role requires a minimum 2:1 in preferably in an engineering-related subject.

top tips

Experience in design and a talent for 3D drawing will be a big help.

testimonials

Interested in a career in commercial property? Then apply to one of Cushman & Wakefield's eight graduate programmes, in areas including Building Surveying, Quantity Surveying and Commercial Planning
Apply Now

Is commercial property the industry for you? Then discover more about the eight graduate programmes Cushman & Wakefield can offer you