Finance

Financial managers are the root of all business decisions, providing financial guidance, analysing data and producing reports to support their clients

read more
Retail Banking

Retail bankers provide advice and financial services to individuals and businesses, as well as dealing with high-net individuals to advise them on how best to manage their wealth

read more
Commercial Banking

Commercial bankers deal with clients of various sizes to design innovative financial solutions to help a business to trade or make investments, as well as prosper and grow

read more
Tech

Tech produce digital financial products that prioritise the customer and support the bank to run smoothly and safely

read more
Risk

Risk managers evaluate financial risk, predict change and forecast potential cost and loss for the bank

read more
Internal Audit

Internal auditors advise management on a bank's inefficiencies to help prevent against financial risk, supporting sustainability.

read more

Finance

Financial managers provide financial guidance and support to clients and colleagues so they can make well-informed business decisions. They are at the root of all major business decisions, as they analyse a variety of data to produce reports and information that can be used to maintain the bank’s liquidity and efficiency. If you have excellent numerical skills and an analytical mind, this could be the career for you.

As a grad

A grad scheme typically lasts around two to three years on a rotational basis, where your role will be to thoroughly explore the importance of finance across all functions and departments of the bank. You will be collecting vital numerical information that helps place the bank at the forefront of technological and economic stability, advising on business decisions that could determine the company's future, reporting on activities and managing tax processes that inform the direction of operations.

salary bands and hours

• £28k – £32k
  • 35-45 hours per week

training

You'll be supported during your graduate programme, qualifying through either CIMA (Chartered Institute of Management Accountants) or ACA (Chartered Accountants), both of which will give you the foundations to build your knowledge. Essentially, your training will teach you how to select the right numbers to support various reports to do with statutory activities, managing tax and changing processes, and advising charities and initiatives with a large public presence on how to navigate their finances.

progression

Many employers hire finance graduates with a view to hire permanently after the role, as they'll be trained specifically in an area of finance that is different in each bank. After completing your qualifications, you’ll be able to progress to a financial manager role. After this stage, you could take on more professional qualifications and become a financial or managing director, or you could take your transferable skills into a more general management role, like HR.

necessary skills and requirements

Skills:
  • Have a real passion for maths and strong numerical skills
  • Have an analytical mind and a logical thought process
  • Possess a good commercial awareness
  • Excellent interpersonal skills, as well as being able to work in a team
  • IT proficiency is a must, especially with spreadsheets and invoicing systems such as Xero and Quickbooks
Requirements:
  • Graduates applying for this role need to have a minimum of a 2:2 from any university.

top tips

Employers are looking for how your project and time management skills have been used to work under tight deadlines, in and outside of your academic career. They want to see where your personal efforts have been placed in your free time.

testimonials

Lloyds Banking Group are looking for creative and driven grads to join one of their Banking graduate programmes
Apply Now

On a graduate programme with Lloyds Banking Group, you can work for one of the UK's largest banks and gain experience across the business