Forensic Accounting

Forensic accountants carry out investigation and analysis into things that have gone wrong –uncovering fraud, bribery, corruption, regulatory breaches, and accounting misstatement

read more
Tax Accounting

Tax accountants, be it corporation tax specialists or personal tax specialists, assess how much a company or individual has to pay in tax per financial year

read more
Financial Accounting

Financial accountants aggregate information into financial statements. They're responsible for making sure bills, expenses, payments and invoices are entered correctly to aid profitability for the business

read more
Audit

Auditors, either internal or external, work to examine finances, look over operations and pinpoint any risk that could lead to financial loss for an individual or business

read more
Management Accounting

Management accountants analyse key financial information to help a company’s management make well-informed business decisions, helping towards the organisation’s stability and profitability

read more

Forensic Accounting

Forensic accountants lead detailed investigation and data analysis into things that have gone wrong: preventing, uncovering and solving fraud, bribery, corruption, regulatory breaches, and accounting misstatement. This career will suit those who have exceptional numeracy skills, attention to detail and a keen investigative streak.

As a grad

As a grad, you’ll search through payments, following and finding money, using data entries and specific accounting theory to know how to spot mistakes that have lead or could lead to bigger consequences. You’ll also assist in conducting interviews with people, like financial agents, police and lawyers.

salary bands and hours

• £24k – £25k
  • 40 hours per week

training

Aside from all of the standard accountancy qualifications, forensic accountants need to have an in-depth knowledge of each individual financial statement and be able to know how they interact with each other to reveal a certain result in uncovering mistakes or fraudulent intervention. You'll also become comfortable with forensic software such as Encase, IEF, UFED and Splunk.

progression

Most graduates start their rotational training in auditing or financial accounting, then specialise in forensic accounting. As it is quite a niche area, once you’ve chosen this field, you pretty much stick to it. Many companies need a forensic accountant, so to advance in this career means having different management roles within a team – rising from accountant to manager, to head of department, and balancing experience in the field with project management of the team and clients. After being qualified for five years, you can join ICFA (Institute of Certified Forensic Accountants), which is the leading advisory service developing and promoting the field of forensic accounting. After being qualified for a number of years, you could start your own independent firm.

necessary skills and requirements

Skills:
  • Be a quick learner and logical thinker
  • Be able to juggle the mindset of a detective with an accountant
  • Excellent communication skills
  • Be able to build strong relationships and possess strong interpersonal skills
  • You need to be driven by deadlines and have a passion for solving complex puzzles
Requirements:
  • Grads can join from any discipline but will need to have a logical mindset. Some employers will look for a 2:1, however this isn't always the case.

top tips

Become interested in criminal justice, specifically economic and fraudulent activity, as working out the answer to some of these complex internet-based issues can be tiresome and require a passion for solving them.

testimonials

At EY you can get hands-on, real client work and a professional qualification from day one
Apply Now

Looking for a role in accountancy with one of the world's biggest firms? EY have a graduate scheme for you