Calling all Liverpool freshers! Here’s everything you need to do in your uni city today

It may be cold but it’s a lot of fun

Congrats and welcome to Liverpool! This city is both beautifully scenic and incredibly high energy. Their nightlife is some of the best around the country, the people are super friendly and the drinks are cheap. As a student, you might want to get used to going to the club without your coat on because it’s part of the city’s culture.

Before you get stuck in, you might want to think about a student bank account. The NatWest Student account* comes with an offer of £50 cash and four year tastecard membership – giving you 2-4-1 or 50% off food deals at participating UK restaurants and takeaways. To apply for a NatWest Student account – visit natwest.com/students.
*Student account eligibility criteria apply. Apply online only. Offer Terms and Conditions apply. £50 cash is a limited time offer until 5th November 2021. Offer can be withdrawn at any time.

Moving into a new city as a student can be overwhelming and a bit intimidating. This is only heightened when you don’t know your way around. To save you the hassle and stress, we’ve put together an in-depth guide to Liverpool with recommendations from uni students themselves.

The best places to live

The Georgian Quarter

Price: £££       Noise level: ||       Supermarkets: Co-op, Tesco Express

This is the pricier part of town with beautiful houses and boujee shops. The Georgian Quarter is on the cusp of the city so it’s great for bars, but not necessarily for parties or pre-drinks. It’s close to uni, being only a 15 minute walk.

The Baltic Triangle

Price: £££       Noise level: |||       Supermarkets: Aldi, Tesco Express

This is the heart of Liverpool’s artsy nightlife, away from the rest of the uni clubs. It’s ideal for trendy club nights and bars, making it perfect for the more adventurous students. This area is also a 30-minute walk or 15 minutes bus ride from uni.

Smithdown

Price: ££       Noise level: |||       Supermarkets: ASDA

This is the main student area in Liverpool, where you’ll likely find everyone you know. Smithdown is a big social hub, and most parties and pre-drinks take place in this area. It’s also about a 30 minute walk or 15 minute bus ride from uni.

Kensington

Price: ££       Noise level: |||       Supermarkets: Lidl

If you don’t find anywhere you like in Smithdown, this is a good second option with a very nice student community. It’s also less busy than Smithdown but still walking distance from clubs and popular spots. Kensington is also a 10 minute walk from uni.

Wanting to keep your budget in check? The NatWest Student account* comes with an offer of £50 cash and four year tastecard membership – giving you 2-4-1 or 50% off food deals at participating UK restaurants and takeaways. For more info and to apply, visit natwest.com/students

Food spots

Close to uni:

Starbucks at The University Guild – this may sound too obvious but it’s every Liverpool student’s favourite

The Guild at The University Guild

La Finca Eivissa on Arthouse Square – tastecard offer available

Backyard in Wolstenholme Square – they have amazing tacos and delicious cocktails

Oven Door on Brownlow Hill

Greggs on Brownlow Hill – you’re not in Liverpool if you’re not going to Greggs four times a week

The Sphinx in the Guild

Down the Hatch on Duke Street – for indulgent vegan junk food, this is the place to go

Worth the journey:

Bakchich Lebanese Restaurant on Bold Street

Mowgli on Bold Street – their Indian street food is extremely popular

Silk Road on  Beetham Plaza – tastecard offer available 

Crust on Bold Street – their pizzas are famous among Liverpool students

Spice City on Stanley Street – tastecard offer available 

Amalia on Campbell Square

The Blackburne Pub & Eatery on Catharine Street

Are you a big foodie? With a NatWest Student account*, you get the offer of £50 cash and a four year tastecard membership – giving you 2-4-1 or 50% off food deals at participating UK restaurants and takeaways. For more info, click here to visit natwest.com/students.

Where to grab a drink

Brookhouse on Smithdown Road

Dovedale Towers on Penny Lane – a cosy, classic pub that always has a great atmosphere

The Augustus John on Peach Street

The Pilgrim Pub on Pilgrim Street

White Bar at Radisson Blu Hotel – tastecard offer available 

The Sphinx in The Guild – their huge courtyard is beautiful in the evening

The Lime Kiln on Concert Square

Vu Bar at Mercure Liverpool Atlantic Tower Hotel – tastecard offer available 

Love & Rockets on Lark Lane

The Font on Arrad Street – this is so close to the uni, it’ll likely become your post-uni drinks spot

Revolution on Albert Dock

The Alchemist on Brunswick Street

Night out spots 

The Raz

Location: The Blue Angel       When: Monday, Friday, Saturday       Music: Cheese, Pop, Indie

SKINT

Location: The Peacock       When: Tuesday       Music: Hip Hop, RnB, Garage, House, Techno

Dirty Antics

Location: Heebie Jeebies       When: Thursday       Music: House, Techno, Hip Hop, RnB, Indie

Quids In

Location: Level       When: Wednesday       Music: House, Hip Hop, RnB, Pop

Block Party

Location: Brooklyn Mixer       When: Weekly       Music: Live music, Electronic, Hip Hop

Runway

Location: Ink       When: Friday       Music: Hip Hop, RnB, House

McCooley’s

Location: McCooley’s      When: All week       Music: Live bands, Indie, Rock

Thinking of setting up a Student account? You could save on your late-night takeaways with a NatWest Student account* as it comes with an offer of £50 cash and a four year tastecard membership – giving you 2-4-1 or 50% off food deals at participating UK restaurants and takeaways. For more info, click here to visit natwest.com/students.

Transport

Taxis: Uber, Delta

Bus services: Get a Stagecoach student card and you can travel for as little as £0.90 per day

Liverpool students’ top tricks and tips

“The Sydney Jones Library can get really busy – find a seat and protect it with your life”

“Bold Street is great for vintage stores if you want a break from high street chains”

“Weekends in Concert Square are stag and hen-do central. Try and find events closer to the student areas if you want to avoid”

“The Docks are really picturesque, but save it for when your parents come up or your overdraft will suffer”

Make the most of the city. With a NatWest Student account* you receive an offer of £50 cash and four year tastecard membership – giving you 2-4-1 or 50% off food deals at participating UK restaurants and takeaways, cheaper cinema tickets and more. For more info, click here to visit natwest.com/students.

Your mini bucket list for the city

• Go to Bongo’s Bingo – it’s a big favourite among students

• Get involved in the University of Liverpool vs. John Moores varsity

• Head to the Liverpool Docks (Royal Albert)– it’s nearby the Tate Modern and the Beatles Story museum which are also both worth a visit

• Go shopping in Liverpool One during the Christmas markets

• Check out the Baltic Market, it’s open Wednesday to Sunday and the food choice there is amazing

• See the whole of the city on top of Radio City Tower

• Head to Sefton Park and set up a picnic with your mates

• Go to the Cavern Club and soak up the Beatles memorabilia, or catch some new live music