Calling all Bristol freshers! Here’s everything you need to do in your uni city today

Get ready to fall in love with this city

You’re officially a student at Bristol – congrats! This city is both beautiful and cool all at the same time. The night life is famous, the architecture is beautiful and the people are all incredibly dressed. As a student in Bristol, Motion will probably become your favourite club and The Downs will become your favourite BBQ spot.

Before you get stuck in, you might want to think about a student bank account. The NatWest Student account* comes with an offer of £50 cash and four year tastecard membership – giving you 2-4-1 or 50% off food deals at participating UK restaurants and takeaways. To apply for a NatWest Student account – visit natwest.com/students.
*Student account eligibility criteria apply. Apply online only. Offer Terms and Conditions apply. £50 cash is a limited time offer until 5th November 2021. Offer can be withdrawn at any time.

There’s a lot going on in Bristol and only so many university years, so to make sure you don’t miss any of the city’s gems we’ve compiled a list of the best spots recommended by Bristol students themselves.

The best places to live

Clifton

Price: ££       Noise level: ||       Supermarkets: Tesco, Sainsbury’s, Co-op, Waitrose

This is the greenest part of Bristol with beautiful old-fashioned houses. Clifton is a fairly quiet spot but walking distance from the livelier areas. It’s also only a 20 minute walk from Bristol University.

Stokes Croft

Price: ££       Noise level: |||       Supermarkets: Tesco Express

Stokes Croft is known to be the social hub of Bristol. It’s very edgy and feels classically “Bristol” – you’ll understand when you arrive. The houses are reasonably priced and it’s only a 20 minute walk from uni.

St Michael’s Hill

Price: ££       Noise level: |       Supermarkets: Co-op

The student housing here is fairly standard and this area isn’t as student-central as others, however, this makes it a great choice for older years looking for some peace and quiet. It’s also only a five minute walk from uni so it’s super close.

Redland and Cotham

Price: ££       Noise level: ||||       Supermarkets: Sainsbury’s

Redland and Cotham is a very popular student area. It’s only a 15 minute walk from uni and a 10 minute walk from Clifton Down Shopping Centre.

Wanting to keep your budget in check? The NatWest Student account* comes with an offer of £50 cash and four year tastecard membership – giving you 2-4-1 or 50% off food deals at participating UK restaurants and takeaways. For more info and to apply, visit natwest.com/students.

Food spots

Close to uni:

Eat a Pitta on Queens Road – their homemade falafel, humous and pitta is every Bristol student’s dream

Parsons Bakery on St Michael’s Hill

Ray’s Pizzeria at The Lanes Bristol – tastecard offer available 

Taka Taka Magic Roll on Queens Road – another great place for delicious Greek food

Namaste Nepal Restaurant on Frogmore Street – tastecard offer available 

Sandwich Sandwich on Baldwin Street

The Red Tent on Tyndall Avenue

Pinkmans Bakery on Park Street – their pizzas are a must-try

Friska on Park Street

Worth the journey:

Rubicon Too on Cotham Hill

Primo Cafe on Whiteladies Road – tastecard offer available  

Clifton Village Fish Bar on Princess Victoria Street

Mrs Potts Chocolate House on Park Street – this is a fun chocolate themed cafe that you’ll become obsessed with

Nova on Baldwin Street – tastecard offer available 

The Canteen in Stokes Croft – they have live music every day and a completely vegetarian menu

East Village Cafe on Boyce’s Avenue – a really popular vegan cafe in Clifton

Are you a big foodie? With a NatWest Student account*, you get the offer of £50 cash and a four year tastecard membership – giving you 2-4-1 or 50% off food deals at participating UK restaurants and takeaways. For more info, click here to visit natwest.com/students.

Where to grab a drink

Racks Bar & Kitchen on St Paul’s Road – this place has a beautiful outdoor terrace that students love

The White Rabbit on Gordon Road

The Volunteer Tavern on New Street – this is a pretty pub with a great outside space for post-uni drinks

The White Lion Bar at the Avon Gorge Hotel

The Pipe and Slippers on Cheltenham Road – a classic pub with weekend DJs and nice cocktails

The Bell on Hillgrove Street

Night out spots 

In:Motion

Location: Motion       When: Friday       Music: Techno, House, Grime, Garage, DnB

Lakota

Location: Lakota       When: Wednesday, weekends       Music: House, DnB, Jungle, Disco

Pressure

Location: Thekla       When: Tuesday       Music: Indie

Mbargo

Location: Mbargo       When: All week       Music: House, RnB, Hip Hop, Pop, Cheese

Aura and Impulse

Location: Lizard Lounge       When: Thursday, Friday       Music: Cheese

Gravity Mondays

Location: Gravity       When: Monday       Music: Charts

Pryzm

Location: Pryzm      When: Monday       Music: Charts, Pop, RnB

Thinking of setting up a Student account? You could save on your late-night takeaways with a NatWest Student account* as it comes with an offer of £50 cash and a four year tastecard membership – giving you 2-4-1 or 50% off food deals at participating UK restaurants and takeaways. For more info, click here to visit natwest.com/students.

Transport

Taxis: Uber, V Cars

Walking: Much of the travelling you do will be walking as most places in Bristol are no further than a 20 minute walk – pre-warning, there are a lot of hills in Bristol

Bus services: The bus is up to £1.80 per journey with a student card

Note: There are also loads of electric scooters available to rent in the city

Bristol students’ top tricks and tips

“There’s quite a distance between city centre and halls so make sure you always plan your journey home”

“Taking the ferry through the city is a nice, scenic alternative to walking or public transport”

“Bristol is famous for its music scene so pick up a guide to their music venues and make the most of the city”

“Gloucester Road is the Shoreditch of Bristol – make sure you check it out!”

Make the most of the city. With a NatWest Student account* you receive an offer of £50 cash and four year tastecard membership – giving you 2-4-1 or 50% off food deals at participating UK restaurants and takeaways, cheaper cinema tickets and more. For more info, click here to visit natwest.com/students.

Your mini bucket list for the city

• Visit Clifton Downs, also knows as The Downs – this is where Bristol students go to chill, BBQ and sunbathe

• Walk around Brandon Hill Park – the views are beautiful

• Visit Cabot Tower – it’s historical and part of Bristolian history

• Look around Harbourside Street Food Market and enjoy the amazing food stalls

• Go to Bristol Zoo Gardens

• Look around Bristol Museum, Art Gallery and We the Curious museum

• Do a Banksy art-hunt and spot the many murals around the city

• Visit St Nicholas Market and check out the food, clothes and beautiful old architecture