Calling all Newcastle freshers! Here’s everything you need to do in your uni city today

Say hello to one of the coolest cities in the UK

Well done! You’ve made it into a university that’s at the centre of a city full of fun things to do and amazing people to meet. There’s never a dull moment in Newcastle with loads of restaurants, bars, clubs and beautiful places to see. You can find your second year house in Jesmond, spend your Monday nights at Digi, enjoy your Friday nights at Bar Banc and visit Grainger Market on the weekend.

Before you get stuck in, you might want to think about a student bank account. The NatWest Student account* comes with an offer of £50 cash and four year tastecard membership – giving you 2-4-1 or 50% off food deals at participating UK restaurants and takeaways. To apply for a NatWest Student account – visit natwest.com/students.
*Student account eligibility criteria apply. Apply online only. Offer Terms and Conditions apply. £50 cash is a limited time offer until 5th November 2021. Offer can be withdrawn at any time.

There’s loads to learn, explore and tick off your bucket list in Newcastle. Here’s a rundown of everything you need to check out today:

The best places to live

Ouseburn

Price: £££       Noise level: ||       Supermarkets: Morrisons (15 min from Ouseburn Road)

This is an edgy, cool place to live with great bars. However, it’s a bit far out from the main student areas and it’s on the pricier side.

Jesmond

Price: ££       Noise level: |||       Supermarkets: Waitrose, Tesco

A popular location for students as it’s full of local bars and lots of restaurants to choose from. Bear in mind, Jesmond is one of the noisier locations because of its busy and lively atmosphere. It’s only a 15-20 minute walk from Newcastle University and 15 minute journey on the Metro from West Jesmond to Haymarket.

Sandyford

Price: ££       Noise level: ||       Supermarkets: Tesco Express

Sandyford isn’t a particularly studenty area but the houses are much bigger than those in other areas so it’s perfect for big groups of friends looking to live together. It’s a 15 minute walk from the uni.

Wanting to keep your budget in check? The NatWest Student account* comes with an offer of £50 cash and four year tastecard membership – giving you 2-4-1 or 50% off food deals at participating UK restaurants and takeaways. For more info and to apply, visit natwest.com/students

Heaton

Price: £       Noise level: |       Supermarkets: Morrisons, Sainsbury’s

Heaton is on the cheaper side if you’re looking to save a bit on your rent. According to students, the houses are reasonably priced and still decent on the inside. It’s also a quieter option for students looking for lots of sleep and little disruption. It’s around a 30 minute walk from uni.

Food spots

Close to uni:

Zucchini Pasta Bar on Pilgrim Street – students say this has the best pasta in Newcastle, plus delicious tiramisu

Central Oven & Shaker on Neville Street

Chaophraya in Grey’s Quarter – the rooftop bar here is a must

Flat Caps in Carliol Square

Worth the journey:

Geisha in Jesmond – this is more on the pricey side but very worth it for the ramen and cocktails

The Mez at As You Like It in Jesmond – tastecard offer available 

Fat Hippo in Jesmond – a great veggie/vegan spot

Pizzeria Francesca in Jesmond – there’s always a queue but it’s worth it for the pizza

Dabbawal in West Jesmond

Nancy’s Bordello on Argyle Street – tastecard offer available 

Red House in Sandhill

Are you a big foodie? With a NatWest Student Account*, you get the offer of £50 cash and a four year tastecard membership – giving you 2-4-1 or 50% off food deals at participating UK restaurants and takeaways. For more info, click here to visit natwest.com/students.

Where to grab a drink

Tyne Bar on Maling Street – head here for some chilled drink by the river

The Hancock on Hancock Street – a great post-uni spot

The Quayside by the Tyne

Bar Blanc in Jesmond – their nachos are famous and there’s a tastecard offer available 

Osbornes in Jesmond – if you’re looking for somewhere to watch the sports, go here

Avanti in Jesmond – this a favourite spot for Friday night dates

Nine Sports Bar in St. James Park – tastecard offer available

Night out spots 

Digi Mondays

Location: Digital       When: Monday       Music: RnB, Charts, Pop, Cheese

Swingers

Location: Grey Club       When: Thursday       Music: Disco

Secret Krush Friday

Location: Bohemia       When: Friday       Music: RnB, Hip Hop

Persistance

Location: TupTup Palace       When: Sunday       Music: RnB, Hip Hop

III behaviour

Location: Cosmic Ballroom       When: Tuesday       Music: Bass, House, Techno, DnB

Thinking of setting up a Student account? You could save on your late-night takeaways with a NatWest Student account* as it comes with an offer of £50 cash and a four year tastecard membership – giving you 2-4-1 or 50% off food deals at participating UK restaurants and takeaways. For more info, click here to visit natwest.com/students.

Exhale

Location: World HQ       When: Monthly       Music: House, Garage, Dance

Soho

Location: Soho       When: Every night       Music: RnB, charts, Pop, Cheese

Tracksuit and Trance

Location: Cosmic Ballroom       When: Once a term       Music: Throwback 90s – House, Garage, Dance

Transport

Taxis: Budget Taxis, Blueline Taxis and Black cabs

Walking: Everything is in walking distance, you can even walk from one end of the city to the other

Cycling: Loads of students cycle – it’s easy and free

Bus services: The Metro offers a monthly student pass for £28 which takes you all over Newcastle

Newcastle students’ top tricks and tips

“PSA: Most of the bars in Jesmond do 2-4-1 on Tuesday!”

“Bigg Market is a lot of fun for a night out if you’re into Stag and Hen Dos. If not, I would avoid”

“NUFC matches are so much fun so get involved. You’ll know it’s happening because everyone wears black and white.”

“Don’t panic into signing your second year house before you’ve made your mates. Jesmond is big and there’s always houses available”

“Get registered with a doctor as soon as you can. Boots GP gets booked up really quickly and it makes it hard to get an appointment.”

Make the most of the city. With a NatWest Student account* you receive an offer of £50 cash and four year tastecard membership – giving you 2-4-1 or 50% off food deals at participating UK restaurants and takeaways, cheaper cinema tickets and more. For more info, click here to visit natwest.com/students.

Your mini bucket list for the city

• See the Angel of the North

• There are so many markets to check out! Go to Grainger Market, Tynemouth Market and Quayside SundayMarket

• Head to The Botanist and enjoy the view down Grainger Street

• Try out the Tyne Bridge zip wire

• Visit Jesmond Dene for the day

• Check out the Baltic viewing platform on the Quayside

• Go to Bamburgh Castle

• Head to the Diamond Strip for a night out

• Go to Ouseburn and enjoy the art, farms and gardens

• For even more art galleries, check out the Laing Art Gallery

• Head to St James’ Park for a great picnic spot with mates