Here’s what life is like as a grad working for one of the world’s biggest banks

They had a gala dinner at the O2 in their first week

HSBC is one of the world’s biggest banks, with a massive reputation to match. The image most of us have of finance grad schemes are that they’re super competitive, really cut-throat, and are all work and no play.

But, we wanted to find out what working for such a large, prestigious institution is really like, so we spoke to two grads at HSBC about what actually goes on inside one of the world’s biggest banks – it turns out our preconceptions couldn’t be further from the truth.

You don’t need a maths degree to work in finance – apply to one of HSBC’s graduate programmes here and get skills you can take anywhere

Ellen, Manchester, Physics with Astrophysics grad

Once I’d finished my masters, I knew I wanted to do something outside of physics. I’d always been quite interested in finance, but I wanted to work out the theory behind the numbers, not just do the calculations. The client-facing aspect of banking was my main interest, and the Commercial Banking role with HSBC meant I’d be out on the front line, meeting clients and presenting. 

During my degree, I’d studied abroad in Canada and it made me realise I wanted to travel more. HSBC have a huge global scope – they have international placements on the grad scheme and these broaden once you’re fully qualified. You could go to Asia, the Americas, the USA, or wherever they have a base. One of my friends on the scheme has just gone out to New York for another placement. 

You start with a really big network of grads, all around your age group. We have WhatsApp groups to support each other, and there’s always drinks or something going on after work in Canary Wharf. When I started, HSBC held a global induction week and grads from across the world all came to London. We had a gala dinner one night at the O2 conference centre, and there must have been a few hundred grads there. Seeing the scale of the company like that was really exciting. 

Get a lot of responsibility, a great work-life balance and endless experience in your first year

Apply to one of HSBC’s graduate programmes here

On my programme, HSBC runs a 70:20:10 model of training. 70 per cent of the learning will be on the job, 20 per cent is learning from and shadowing others, and then 10 per cent is classroom learning, with courses on every sector. We have a placement manager who’s our day-to-day contact and then a graduate manager who oversees all of the grads. The grad manager is a massive help –  you never feel lost in your role and they really focus on making sure your individual strengths are focused on.

At the moment, I’m in Loan Management, AKA the intensive care unit for businesses. I do a lot of analysis and attend meetings with our clients to find out how they’re getting on. One thing that’s stuck out to me is the level of responsibility they afford to you when you start. There are no coffee runs or anything like that – you’re working alongside other big firms and their financial advisors, legal advisors, and external stakeholders. No one ever doubts your judgement and from day one your opinion is welcomed.

I think people would be surprised how approachable everyone is in a bank like this. Having studied a degree where you work quite independently, I wasn’t used to the amount of collaborative work you have here with different teams. But, you soon realise that everyone else is learning alongside you and there’s no such thing as a stupid question. I think getting that confidence boost so early on in your career sets you up well – my confidence has grown a lot since working here. 

HSBC have all the tools available for you to find your niche. You could work for the same company and have twenty different jobs before you retire, so the progression is endless. 

Get a head start in your career in finance, regardless of your degree background, with one of HSBC’s graduate programmes – apply here

Beckie, UEA, Economics grad

When I was at uni, I thought that the banking world ended at Investment Banking, which a lot of my course mates went into. After graduation, I applied for a load of different schemes, but then I came across Retail Banking and Wealth Management at HSBC. I wanted to be working with people and managing teams, and this was the perfect opportunity for me to do that. I had an offer from one of the Big Four, but HSBC was a no-brainer for me. 

One thing that struck me when I applied is that HSBC give you feedback at every step of the application process – there’s no unrealistic expectation for you to be perfect at the interview stage. The focus is definitely on the individual rather than just your credentials. You also don’t need a traditional degree to apply – one of my really good mates here studied Dance and Drama at uni, and she brings a completely different aspect to the role.

I’m currently working in Birmingham, where I really feel at home. It’s a nationally mobile scheme so you move around placement-to-placement, getting to see life outside of London. You can also move department – there’s the chance to go into Investment Banking, Private Banking, Commercial Banking, and loads more all over the company. I don’t think there are many companies that offer that kind of diversity in roles for their grads. They also give you your own personal development path tailored to your needs, so even if you’re not sure where your strengths lie, you have the opportunity to find out.  

Make an impact in your grad job and get huge career progression with HSBC – apply to one of their graduate programmes here

Beckie at HSBC’s Hike It or Bike It

During my time on this scheme, I’ve been on four rotations. My first placement was to do with the customer – learning about the bank, their customers and how to coach people. I then moved to First Direct, one of HSBC’s retail brands, for a leadership role. I managed ten people all with 20+ years experience, and by the end, they told me how much I’d helped them believe in their own abilities again. To have that impact at grad level was really fulfilling.

I then went into Risk, looking at high-risk customers and finding ways to prevent terrorist rings, money laundering, and people trafficking. My final placement was in Strategy, working for John Lewis Financial Services, where I was the product manager and developed a digital product for the credit card proposition that John Lewis offer. I’m currently working in a team that oversees what the UK bank does in terms of its strategy, to be the best for its customers, people, profits and returns. I’m only two months into this new role, but it’s already clear that I can help shape our long-term strategic goals for 2020/2021.

Although I’m doing quite high-level work so early on, the job is really flexible so it never feels unmanageable. I could go home earlier than usual if I’ve finished my work, as long as I’m on email if anything happens. The investment in the graduate cohort is second-to-none – you never feel overworked and you’re fully facilitated both in and outside of work. 

Despite what people may assume, HSBC isn’t as corporate as you’d think. Everyone’s really approachable, and you get a real mix of people here, from quite outgoing to more reserved. There’s an incredible social side to it too, with constant big nights out – curry nights, bowling, and we’re headed to Oktoberfest this year. Whatever kind of person you are, it really feels like a strong unit here.

HSBC are looking for grads of any degree discipline to join one of their rotational grad schemes

Get expert training, huge progression and experience across the board with HSBC 

Apply for a graduate scheme in Retail or Commercial banking with HSBC here