Here’s why a pub job in Birmingham is the best uni job about

Beats working in the Guild Costa any day

It’s an indisputable fact that students who work in a pub or bar are some of the most underrated people at uni. We juggle 16 hours work a week with our degree, social life, and getting enough sleep, and still manage to make it to Stuesdays on the regs.

But it’s not all stress and spilling beer on our shoes – so whether it’s The Trocadero on Temple Street or The One Trick Pony Club in Moseley, here are all the reasons why having a pub job in Birmingham is actually the best thing ever:

If you’re looking for a uni job that’s flexible, fun and interesting, find out about part-time pub and bar roles with Mitchells and Butlers here

It’s way more fun than flyering

We all know Brum is a sick night out, so it makes sense that all of our customers are in a good mood when they’re preing at O’Neill’s on Broad Street. We don’t even have to miss going out with our mates because it’s so easy to switch shifts.

There’s also always a buzz when there’s live music or football going on, especially on derby day – it’s always an experience (to say the least) when Villa play Birmingham City.

We’re pals with all the regulars

Every pub has its own unique set of regulars, and it’s always good to see a familiar, friendly face on our shift. Plus, they’re always keen to share some scandalous gossip they learnt at the Country Girl to keep us entertained.

And it’s pretty much the most flexible job you can have

Forget trying to cram eight hours of essay-writing into a two hour window between your lectures and beginning of your shop shift – at a pub we can switch shifts or pick up extra hours (a.k.a cash), depending on how much uni work we have.

Mitchells and Butlers offer flexible working hours, and the option to switch pubs during uni holidays – find available positions at O’Neill’s, All Bar One, Browns and many more here

It’s just like working with a big bunch of pals

Obviously loads of students want to work in pubs, so it’s super easy to make friends with the people we work with. Also, pubs are literally places that people go to socialise, so our workplaces are pretty much made for having fun in. All the staff parties just prove it – you wouldn’t get that in a shop now, would you?

So there’s never a dull moment

Our friends love all the stories we come home with after a shift – all the local characters really keep us on our toes. Plus, being able to refuse service comes in pretty handy when our ex’s new bae comes in and we feel like being petty.

Also, we get discounted, top-class pub food whenever we want

A quality carvery with all the trimmings or a massive burger and chips definitely beats the sad, leftover Super Noodles we’d be having if we were sat at home on a Sunday. With the staff discount it’s not even expensive, and our friends love being treated to a big old feast every now and again – to be honest, the only thing it’s bad for is our waistlines.

Apply for a job at Miller & Carter, Harvester or Toby Carvery, and get a third off food and drink at all Mitchells and Butlers pubs and bars – apply now

(Most of) the customers are surprisingly nice

We really get to see the soft heart of Birmingham with our customers – people are always happy if you’re giving them a drink.

And the tips makes the job even sweeter

Who wouldn’t want a nice extra lump of cash on top of what we’re already earning? There’s no better sound than hearing that tips jar get emptied out at the end of a shift.

Plus, we’re actually loaded with transferrable skills

Having to fit uni work around our shifts makes us masters of time-management, as well as teaching us how to deal with money, act with diplomacy and loads of other stuff that makes our CVs look sick.

More importantly though, our friends love that we can pull a perfect pint and make all the cocktails on the All Bar One menu whenever we feel like it. It makes us a real hit at all the parties.

Working for a Mitchells and Butlers pub or bar is the perfect uni job

They’ve got roles available at your favourite establishments, including All Bar One, Browns, O’Neill’s and Miller & Carter in Birmingham, as well as up and down the country

Apply here for flexible hours, decent wages and great staff perks